Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was given a 450 electric but can't fly it

Options
  • 20-04-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone give me advice on this - I have tried it a few times but I'm not very good.

Is there any clubs in mayo that I could go to for help or anything? I find it hard to learn from watching videos online.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The first thing to do is get a flight simulator and/or someone experienced. They are difficult to impossible to just go and fly for a beginner. There is more to them than just flying them. But a decent simulator goes a long way towards getting to grips with flying them.

I learned purely from the simulator, although I was flying the fixed wing for years previous, which I think helped, although they are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Thanks for you reply. I do have a simulator actually - I'd forgotten about it - it's realflight.

I don't know how to set the 450 up to fly the same as the simulator though. I did get it set up by a place in ennis who did a very good job but it got a bit of a smash (small). I'm not confident that I have set it up properly again.

Yea they usually don't need much setting up after a crash, but usually need bent feathering shafts or main shafts replaced as well as obvious broken parts.

You can tell if feathering shaft is bent because the blades won't track no matter how adjusted, bent main shaft causes serious vibration.

Lots of practice on the simulator is the way to go, and training landing gear on the heli itself.

Do you need to do any more balancing of the blades, than just making sure they stay level on the "pendulum" device?

I used to find I never needed to balance blades when I checked them on a balancer. The couple of times I crashed I needed new blades but they always seemed well balanced.

• Advertisement

Have you tried using cheaper blades from ebay? Not the wooden ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Where in mayo are you

Where in mayo are you

I'm in Claremorris :)

What type of 450 have you and what transmitter

What type of 450 have you and what transmitter

SEV2 and spektrum dx7

• Advertisement

Ok i might just be able to help ya i am not to far from you i am in charlestown. I have no problem calling up to you and at least ill get it flying a badly set up heli is a nightmare to fly did you buy new or second hand. Also what make gyro is in it, alot of the time fellas buy second hand helis and their set up wrong for the type of flying that you would be doing as in learning

I forgot to reply about blades. I usually used decent ones on the they 450 and always good ones on the 600. Beginner blades for the 450 have weighted tips to give more stability.

Ok i might just be able to help ya i am not to far from you i am in charlestown. I have no problem calling up to you and at least ill get it flying a badly set up heli is a nightmare to fly did you buy new or second hand. Also what make gyro is in it, alot of the time fellas buy second hand helis and their set up wrong for the type of flying that you would be doing as in learning

That's great Peter - sound man. A family member has died and I'll be involved in all that until Sunday - I will get in contact with you soon?

Cheers :)

Advertisement