Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 14.04 Nvidia or Nouveau

Options
  • 20-04-2014 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

My laptop has an Nvidia Optimus graphics card. I've updated from 13.10 to 14.04 but its still using Nouveau whereas I thought it was now supposed to default to the proprietary Nvidia drivers instead. Anyone know which is the default and whether its worth changing to the Nvidia drivers instead?

buddha:~/Desktop> lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty
    buddha:~/Desktop> dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
    buddha:~/Desktop> dpkg -l | grep -i nouveau
    ii libdrm-nouveau2:amd64 2.4.52-1 amd64 Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii libdrm-nouveau2:i386 2.4.52-1 i386 Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2 amd64 X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you're upgrading I'd say it keeps using whatever you were using.

If you're doing anything 3D, I'd go nvidia all the way. Otherwise I've found the nouveau ones to be fine.

Advertisement