Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do they check garbage bags?

Options
  • 19-04-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Consider the following hypothetical scenario:

>have 100s of plastic bottles scattered around house
    >only have house waste bin
    >put bottles in black bags

Do they check whats inside the bags? And if they do, do they put the garbage back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why would you not just squash them, put them in a sack and bring them to a recycling centre? Or put them in the green bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why would you not just squash them, put them in a sack and bring them to a recycling centre? Or put them in the green bin?

i will, but just consider the following hypothetical scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Why would they check the contents of the bags? If you want to pay to have rubbish removed instead of recycling them for free, that's your choice.

No Pants wrote: »
    Why would they check the contents of the bags? If you want to pay to have rubbish removed instead of recycling them for free, that's your choice.

So you're saying the bags dont get checked until it reaches the garbage dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

So you're saying the bags dont get checked until it reaches the garbage dump?

Are you trying to dispose of a dead body?

• Advertisement

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Are you trying to dispose of a dead body?

no i am trying to find the solution to the hypothetical scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

no i am trying to find the solution to the hypothetical scenario

I have often put recyclables into the normal bin.
    No one has ever said anything.
    If you watch the bin men loading the bins onto the lorry, you will see they do not root through the rubbish to remove reclylables.

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I have often put recyclables into the normal bin.
    No one has ever said anything.
    If you watch the bin men loading the bins onto the lorry, you will see they do not root through the rubbish to remove reclylables.

thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Could you not put the 100s of plastic bottles in your car and carry them to the nearest recycling centre, this will be the kindest way to the environment in processing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jfmeto

No Pants wrote: »

Who recycles them for free?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently most black bin waste is sorted in waste centres aroun Dublin to see what is recyclable. This into reduce the amount going landfill and get the valuable waste eg cans, plastics

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

Do they feck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

hfallada wrote: »
    Apparently most black bin waste is sorted in waste centres aroun Dublin to see what is recyclable. This into reduce the amount going landfill and get the valuable waste eg cans, plastics

I saw on programme on it before but I thought I was just the green bins that get sorted. Of course you can put bottles in your black bin just be careful that you are not paying per weight! I think my mum still has to put them in her black bin as her company don't allow plastics in the green bin, or at least it was the case a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

jfmeto wrote: »

I do, provided I have it sorted into plastic, paper etc. Mixed bags cost 1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I live in an apartment which has a shared huge wheeled green bin so most of what I need to get rid of goes in there, meaning I only have to put the black bin out now and again.

Usually works ok except when the bin men haven't been told the code for the gate and so don't empty the green bin - at which point anything I need rid of goes into the black one till next week.

I wouldn't have the time, interest or energy for sorting it any further than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Wouldn't imagine so, they're on a tight schedule and they wouldn't have time to sort through every bin they empty... And even if they had the time would you be arsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

they wouldn't check for recyclables in a black bin as it is far worse to do it the other way round.

Black bin-for landfill, ok a few recyclables and up in landfill (not so long ago that this was mostly the case anyway)

however, if you put black bin material in the green bin continuously, after a while, yes they may search/ narrow it down to the area, then street, then person.

The sheer cost of not just sorting recyclables, but then to try to remove things that aren't recyclable would be a massive pain for these companies.

Not to mention time and rescources spent, damage/ contamination to machinery. And the dumping of recyclable waste that cannot now be recycled as its been contaminated.

But plastic in the black bin-not that its no biggie environmentally these days- still wouldn't be as big a concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They check for non-recyclables in the green bin the odd time, not the other way around.
    Most green bin trucks carry large bags and they spot-check by emptying random green bins into these for later analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

jfmeto wrote: »
    Okay, that was a poor choice of words. Rather the black bin is more expensive as, for me at least, it has the yearly standing charge plus €8.45 per lift or whatever it is. As you can see, I don't leave the black bin out very often.

Advertisement