Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to boot to Ubuntu on W8 laptop

Options
  • 19-04-2014 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Installed Ubuntu on a USB key today, ran the demo installation on a Windows 7 laptop but can't seem to boot to the USB on Windows 8.1. It's an Acer Aspire V5, have tried hitting F12 when booting but no joy. Anyone familiar with this or come across before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think you'll need to disable Protected Boot if you can find it.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

ZENER wrote: »
    I think you'll need to disable Protected Boot if you can find it.

Ken

Yikes. I don't want to start tinkering with all that dangerous stuff.

Have you completely shut down the laptop first ?

Hit the Windows Key and the R key together and in the resulting box type "shutdown -s".
    Once the laptop has shutdown then try restarting and try the F2 key to enter the BIOS.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Here's my experience with an Acer Aspire desktop.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85575351

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Was trying to do the same thing yesterday myself and what I had to do was click shutdown while holding the shift key, this completely shuts down the pc and not just the hibernate mode that shutdown normally puts the pc in. When starting up again then hit F12 and this will bring you to the boot setup and just select USB.

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    Was trying to do the same thing yesterday myself and what I had to do was click shutdown while holding the shift key, this completely shuts down the pc and not just the hibernate mode that shutdown normally puts the pc in. When starting up again then hit F12 and this will bring you to the boot setup and just select USB.

The same as giving the shutdown -s command. You will still need to find and disable the Protected Boot , did you see that anywhere in the BIOS/UEFI settings ? May help the OP ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

if you have a SSD it may be that the OS is starting to Boot so quickly it's not giving you time to load the bios options.

Are you able to get into the BIOS at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

ZENER wrote: »
    The same as giving the shutdown -s command. You will still need to find and disable the Protected Boot , did you see that anywhere in the BIOS/UEFI settings ? May help the OP ?

Ken

Didn't have to disable anything, hitting F12 brought me up the options to boot from hdd, cd rom and usb, just selected usb and it booted straight to the linux os.

Advertisement