Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philmac fittings question

Options
  • 19-04-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Can you get Philmac T fittings with a shutoff valve on them so you could turn off one branch outlet?

Couldn't get in local hardware.

Strikes me that they'd be a good idea. Ended up having to buy a T and a straight shutoff valve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Never saw a T with a valve incorporated . Has to buy a t and a tap as well lately. Nearly 30 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

nope, never seen any,
    dear stuff them, i take them all in over winter. . .not letting the frost at them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you set it up so that the tap cuts off a whole section of troughs not just one? I know it's not what you're asking.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's basically to that l can sub divide a field l usually make silage off (but not this year) so l can graze it better.

I was hoping to plumb in a few temporary troughs by teeing into the pipe coming up out of the ground to permanent troughs.

If I put a tee and a valve on the new outlet l wouldn't have to turn off mains to plumb in once l have it fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Muckit wrote: »
    It's basically to that l can sub divide a field l usually make silage off (but not this year) so l can graze it better.

I was hoping to plumb in a few temporary troughs by teeing into the pipe coming up out of the ground to permanent troughs.

If I put a tee and a valve on the new outlet l wouldn't have to turn off mains to plumb in once l have it fitted.

Find the pipe coming into the field and put the valve there.

• Advertisement

P_Cash wrote: »
    nope, never seen any,
    dear stuff them, i take them all in over winter. . .not letting the frost at them

Have you only a handful of fittings? I use them a lot here. Yes they are dear but they make a great seal and can nearly be done up by hand if stuck. Rarely use brass fittings as they are equally as dear and I find them a bit more fiddly. For a diy plumber the Philmac seals first time every time.

I only ever had one go in yard with frost. Elbows into troughs out field which would be exposed all winter never went and they in 15 years.

Grange beef farm have all water pipes out to paddocks over ground under the wire. All fittings exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Muckit wrote: »
    Have you only a handful of fittings? I use them a lot here. Yes they are dear but they make a great seal and can nearly be done up by hand if stuck. Rarely use brass fittings as they are equally as dear and I find them a bit more fiddly. For a diy plumber the Philmac seals first time every time.

I only ever had one go in yard with frost. Elbows into troughs out field which would be exposed all winter never went and they in 15 years.

Grange beef farm have all water pipes out to paddocks over ground under the wire. All fittings exposed.

handful, i wish. . . i must have 5/6 valves, and about 20/30 couplings. .

but at the price of them, i just spend an hr in oct/nov after the cattle has finished up in that field and take them all in. . . the frost will kill them . .
    beleive it or not, the blue on off just snapped off on me 3 years ago, and i said thats it, im taking them all in.

they are some stuff though, i always just hand tighten, . . perfect seal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

handful, i wish. . . i must have 5/6 valves, and about 20/30 couplings. .

but at the price of them, i just spend an hr in oct/nov after the cattle has finished up in that field and take them all in. . . the frost will kill them . .
    beleive it or not, the blue on off just snapped off on me 3 years ago, and i said thats it, im taking them all in.

they are some stuff though, i always just hand tighten, . . perfect seal

You must have a lot of spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Put straight joiners on the pipe at intervals where you want to put the trough.

The put a t on the end of a few feet of pipe coming from the drinker. When you want to put it in a new spot, just take out the middle of the straight joiner and screw in the t that on your trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

mf240 wrote: »
    Put straight joiners on the pipe at intervals where you want to put the trough.

The put a t on the end of a few feet of pipe coming from the drinker. When you want to put it in a new spot, just take out the middle of the straight joiner and screw in the t that on your trough.

You could do it with the water on too.
    Just loosen both ends on straight, put tee close to it, put manure bag over both and put hands under the bag, should be able to swap out the centre with out looking, very little water when the inserts are in. Then remove the bag & tighten with wrench if needed.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

nope, never seen any,

Why not just open first & last fitting & put compressor on end & blow out the water, or just turn off water open 1 side of all joints & let the water out, close them loosely when drained, you would get slugs etc going into the pipe over winter & blocking the jet on the ball cock.

It is the water expanding when it freezes that splits the fitting not the cold.

Just my 2 cents

A

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fermec2

Try South Coast Sales in Cork. Philmac Wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

You must have a lot of spare time.
    I take the roads in and store them for the winter. Tip I heard on Fr. Ted.

mf240 wrote: »
    Put a t on the end of a few feet of pipe coming from the drinker. When you want to put it in a new spot, just take out the middle of the straight joiner and screw in the t that on your trough.

Yes l've done this before but came across these recently. Blanking plug so you can leave the T in place and just blank the outlet.

But still have to turn off water at source or use a straight valve joiner on outlet which lead to my main query about the existence of T's with integrated valves. Would cut down the number of fittings needed and thus cost. And be more convenient.

Advertisement