Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reception-only venue?

Options
  • 18-04-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a venue in Dublin (not necessarily city centre) to host our wedding reception. We won't be having a meal in the venue, just the reception - i.e. starting around 7pm or 8pm with music, drinks and dancing.

We viewed the Odeon but it's a bit nightclubby for our tastes. We also viewed the function room in the Dropping Well but unfortunately it's in the basement and has a kind of musty odour.

Any suggestions? Our criteria are:

- Late bar
    - Comfortable seating for guests (i.e. not awful makeshift chairs thrown about the place)
    - Room for about 120 people
    - Fairly informal

I had a look at some hotel websites but am unsure if they would cater for us since we're not doing a full-on traditional Irish wedding?

I'm running out of ideas so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

What about the anglers rest in the strawberry beds? They do full weddings but you can also hire upstairs for functions such as christenings, birthdays etc so it could fit your criteria. There's a bar, dance floor, room for seats and tables

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'd say a lot of hotels would be glad to have you. I don't live in Dublin, but where I am, most hotels would hire out their function room for events other than weddings- they make a fair whack of money on the bar, and they don't have to pay staff to cook, serve clear away the food.
    I know people who've hired the fxn room in the nearest hotel to us for 50ths, 21sts etc- your weddjng reception would be no different!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

Did you try the Waterside House Hotel in Donabate? They have a conference room for weddings but also a large terrace with an incredible seaview. I am sure if you contact them they will be more than happy to accommodate your group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

if youre having 120 people from 8pm and youre looking for a late bar, why havent you mentioned food? party needs food. especially a late one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was the Anglers Rest the one on don't tell the bride? It looked lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

what about the banquet hall in smock alley?
    Or else a private room in a pub but you might struggle to fit 120 in some of them.

Agree with the other poster about food though. You need something for a party starting at 7 or 8, finger food at least.

Advertisement