Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a cheap phone from Three?

Options
  • 18-04-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So I'm looking for a spare phone, a blokia or whatever will do, for the summer.

My friends were saying if you walk into Three (I'm with Three) and ask them there and then, that they will give you a cheap phone for a tenner or there abouts.

Is this true? All I want is a 10-20 euro phone thats like a blokia, for festivals and the likes.

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Best bet is an unlocked phone on adverts for cheap...3 phones start off at 60+ I think

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Well I was directing it at Three because that's my Network.

I guess my other plan could be to join a second network? Is it possible to be on two networks under the same name? Or how do you go about being a member of two networks? Can you just give fake details?

Also, I've been trying to buy phones on adverts..etc and a lot of old school phones are incompatible with the Three network, making my search a lot more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Three only works with 3G phones. The really cheap (10 euro) phones are only 2G which means any other network but Three.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Postfone are doing a bog standard phone+text phone(no camera,internet or music) for €20 with €20 free credit if you sign up to them. Seen it in the post office in Newbridge and Kildare so assume its all major post offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Pick up a cheap pre pay phone and sim in tesco. If you only want it for occasions where you might lose your own phone, then there's no need to change number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Signs up in local post office for a €30 touch screen smartphone. Think it was an alcatel or alchotel:D

They also gave €5 free credit with that but dont know what their tariffs are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue. moved to Mobiles.

dudara

kc90 wrote: »
    Pick up a cheap pre pay phone and sim in tesco. If you only want it for occasions where you might lose your own phone, then there's no need to change number.

Just to clarify, once I pick it up, its ready to go? I dont need to sign up with their network with my name, address...etc?

Also what are tesco sims like with other unlocked phones? Will a tesco sim work in most unlocked phones, unlike three where they rarely do?
    This is for future reference, when I lose the tesco one, i want to be able to buy any vodafone/02/meteor phone second hand on the cheap.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Chancing my arm here, but can I just get a sim card from tesco for free and use it in another phone I have at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Of course you can.
    Sim free 2g phones start in Argos for €20. I'd get a Sim from one of the other networks for it, I bought a second hand 3g capable phone to tide me over for a few weeks last year and it was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Of course you can.
    Sim free 2g phones start in Argos for €20. I'd get a Sim from one of the other networks for it, I bought a second hand 3g capable phone to tide me over for a few weeks last year and it was painful.

Advertisement