Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Car Insurance

Options
  • 18-04-2014 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, just wondering about Classic car insurance for an Austin Mini 1990. I am buying the shell of the car and will be restoring it myself, but before i want to do all this I would like to make sure I can insure myself for it! I will be 18 when i get the car on my provisional, however.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Nearly sure you have to be 25+ to get classic insurance open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yvonne96

Ya, just hoping some companies might do it for under 25's. Would it be a possibility maybe for, say, a parent to be insured and then maybe I could be an added driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

I'd say your age and licence will go against you that way too sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You wont get Classic Insurance until you are about 25 and you would need a main car insured as well even then to do it. Your Parent could do Classic Insurance on it but they won't add you as a named driver (or if they did in a rare case, they would charge as much as the regular insurance would cost.) There is no way round the cost of Insurance on this route....the Ins Companies aren't daft!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

I recently got insurance on a 1983 car.
    Since it was my primary car, insurance was more or less the same as if I'd insured a modern car. Even though I do low mileage.
    With older cars, you are actually limited to a smaller number of companies who will insure them. So, you can't shop around for deals as much.
    Still if you are keen on this project I wouldn't let insurance put you off, just make sure and do some research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 yvonne96

Thanks for the help! :)

Advertisement