Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do we all support??

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who all ye guys support in the aul basketball, Im a lakers man myself started supporting them just by liking the fact they wore yellow when every other jersey was white :o and I liked Shaq
    Have a soft spot for a few other teams, like Raptors cause of Vinsanity and Mavs cause of Dirk but wouldnt say Im a supporter more a fan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Lakers too. First jersey I bought was a Kobe #8 all those years ago and they're the one team I like to see win over any other team, which was tough this year!

Spurs would be my soft spot. Nothing to dislike about them and I love their style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

lakers here too purely because i used to love watching kobe play, add the fact their history and the players who've played for them over the years. dont really have much of a soft spot for any other team but if i had to pick one id guess it would be the mavs. dont really get to watch much of the reg season nowadays but always make sure i try and get as many play off games in as possible. gonna be tough this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls for me.

I'm a relatively new fan of the team and just watched basketball on a sporadic basis as a neutral for quite some time. Then in 2010-2011 I first got a decent Internet connection that allowed me to stream games and something just clicked with me and the Bulls. Their defensive hustle, Derrick Rose, the Bench Mob, Thibs, the history. It all appealed to me.

I just really enjoyed them and found myself coming back time and time again to watch their games and have done so ever since, thus I'm a Bulls fan :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm a Suns fan. The last week has been tough for me! Looking forward to next year with a healthy Bledsoe though. We're totally gonna win the lottery and get the number one pick so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Cavs fan here. Been a Cavs fan since 2005 (watched it on and off before then but I first got into basketball properly in 05) so I've had the highs (LeBron era in Cleveland, multiple East champs, making the Finals in 2007) and the lows (pretty much everything past "The Decision") of Cleveland basketball. I believe the future's bright for Cleveland basketball right now though. We have most of the pieces to the puzzle, just need 1 or 2 more (like a change in coach and Luol staying) and we'll hopefully be back to where we belong... Playoff basketball.

As for teams I've a softspot for... I really like the Raptors and Warriors (young and upcoming teams) so I'll be watching and cheering them on in the Playoffs (hopefully past Round 1 anyways)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bulls. Have family in Chicago and was a teenager coinciding with the first three-peat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Celtics. KG has been my favourite player since I got into basketball. It's a tough season with him and Pierce gone, and Rondo in and out, but it is what it is. Looking forward to next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Many moons ago i used to like the celtics but i would never have considered myself a real fan, i have only gotten back to watching a bit of basketball again this year, and for whatever reason when i was streaming games the raptors popped up alot and i just seemed to watch them more and thought they were a pretty exciting team to watch, so now even though i still wouldnt really call myself a proper raptors fan yet im getting there:D

nice to see a few others here having raptors as a team they admire;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Celtics. Back in the days of Larry Bird, the greatest white player to play a black man's sport, as Mychal Thompson said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I have played the game since about 5 years of age, and still do today. Basketball has always been a major part of my life. During the Easter holidays of 2004 my father brought us on the holiday of a lifetime to New York were I watched the Knicks play the Nets in a first round game. I have family in New York and they are all Knicks fans, so before the first game I was christened a Knicks fan. I remember just being in awe of the size of the guys. I was too young to remember much else now, but Mutombo was on the Knicks roster and the guy is over 7 foot. It' only since about 2009(with the coming of broadband) that my interest really took off in following the NBA, and the Knicks specifically. It's been a rough season for us, and we really need to get Melo signed, but I am quite hopeful that Phil Jackson will get him signed and add some pieces.

Outside of the Knicks, the other team I have a fondness for is the Spurs. They are such an exceptionally run organisation.Pop is a genius, Timmy is probably my favourite player since I began watching the league.offense is something of beauty, and they are a joy to watch. I will be rooting for them in the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Entertaining basketball and a rabid fan base attracts me to certain franchises.. or those who are good to me betting wise. I've been in New York so many times and live here now. Having attended a fair few games, while I wouldn't say I am a fan, but I do want them to do well. I did originally have a soft spot for the Supersonics going back to my NBA Jam days on the SNES, ditto the Suns (some here might notice I'm a tad passionate about them at times). Loved Barkley as a kid. Play a bit of pick up basketball these days down in Flushing/Bayside, but nothing organised since I was in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I am a Laker fan back since I was a starry eyed youth who though Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones could lead us to the promised land. Still remember watching NBA action on TG4 on Sunday mornings which was followed by extended highlights of the game of the week.
    Was lucky enough to go to a Finals game in Boston against the Lakers in 2010
    Strangely enough my first jersey was a Vin Baker, Boston Celtics jersey that was about 5 sizes too big for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Knicks fan. Simple reasons...... they are the first NBA team I went to see live, and I love New York City.

I would also have a soft spot for the Bulls, Suns and Nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

hawks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Don't post on here that often but a Knicks fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Knicks. Went to about 15 games this year, went to see Brooklyn 4 or 5 times as well but don't get the same buzz there that I get walking in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Live in san fran so big warriors fan, has been pretty painful fora long time so their recent success has been long over due. Don't really go to too many games any more but watch most of them.
    Have a soft spot for Bulls and like memphis also.
    Liked the Pacers up until this season...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Pacers fan. Only ever come to post here at playoff time. Looks like I missed the beginning of the season when Pacers were at there best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Pacers. Always watched as a nuetral but only really got into it last year and like the way they played D. Pity they couldnt be showing some of that now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Kings fan since the late 90s.

I have adopted the Rockets in the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Kings fan also! Since 2000 or so, last few years have been tough viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

First time posting in here but have been reading while and quite enjoy the discussion that goes on.

I became a spurs fan when I found out that there was a basketball team that had the same name as my fooball team. That was 12/13 years ago. Ive only started watching the NBA properly though the last 2/3 years. Im glad that it worked out like that though. I love pretty much everything about them. Their players (duncan in particular), Popovich, their style of play.

Soft spots would be for the Bulls (because of computer games in the 90's), the Timberwolves because of Kevin Love and the Warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Only really gotten into the NBA this year but the Pistons. Hope the lottery is kind to them and they bring in a good guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Celtics. Since '84, when I first picked up a ball. Think it was all about Bird tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Lirange wrote: »
    Kings fan since the late 90s.

I have adopted the Rockets in the playoffs.
    Kings fan also! Since 2000 or so, last few years have been tough viewing

Whoa, two other Kings fans? Thought I was the only one!

Advertisement