Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tillage slurry

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

When slurry is applied to ploughed ground then harrowed in do you get any of the nitrogen value from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

epfff wrote: »
    When slurry is applied to ploughed ground then harrowed in do you get any of the nitrogen value from it?

It depends on how fast it's done. I wouldn't be rushing to apply slurry to ploughed ground. Compaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭epfff

It depends on how fast it's done. I wouldn't be rushing to apply slurry to ploughed ground. Compaction.

Are you talking minutes/hours/days
    Any more detail for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Is there any way you could get it on before ploughing?

It's really not recommend, compaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

You need to be going at it straight away - almost harrowing in each load as it is spread. That way you'll retain most of the N. I think Blue 5000 was posting on here about that last year some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

spread 1st then ploughed in, have never seen it put onto ploughed land.

in germany they changed the law recently so that slurry must be ploughed into the ground within a few hours of spreading.

• Advertisement

epfff wrote: »
    Are you talking minutes/hours/days
    Any more detail for me

There's a huge number of variables. In warm dry weather you're looking at big losses very quickly. In frosty weather much less of a problem. Still not on ploughing. We would always apply 3-4k gals to ground for ploughing, big savings on NPK.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Why would ploughed ground be any different to that which has a crop in it in terms of N losses? Surely its more to do with the weather when you put it out?

Damo810 wrote: »
    Why would ploughed ground be any different to that which has a crop in it in terms of N losses? Surely its more to do with the weather when you put it out?
    It isn't other than the fact that you can minimise losses on ground you are going to plough which isn't an option on grassland unless you use a trailing shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

What u really need is a xerion with a piggy back slurry tank pulling a disc injection harrow that does a first pass cultivation.:D

49801 wrote: »
    What u really need is a xerion with a piggy back slurry tank pulling a disc injection harrow that does a first pass cultivation.:D

I reckon he should really have a second one on standby as well just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jimmy G M wrote: »
    You need to be going at it straight away - almost harrowing in each load as it is spread. That way you'll retain most of the N. I think Blue 5000 was posting on here about that last year some time.

Ya I'm doing it for barley at the moment, one tractor on the plough, other one on the tank, it's a good job the weather is fine as it's a slow job, half hour round trip for a load of slurry then around an hour to plough it in, home for the fish fingers and hot cross buns now, then off with another load.

Forgot to say I can see a shine on the ploughed up scrapes where I drove with a full tank of slurry before ploughing, so what compaction would be like on ploughed ground is another story.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Wanted to do it on a grass reseed but the field was quite steep and sprayed off which meant, much to my chagrin, it was dangerously slippery. Had to be ploughed first to give the tractor and tank a grip. With 3-4000 gallons out, it looked a bit too wet to be harrowing then to me. I don't get too hung up on the N in slurry, it's the P and K, any N is a bonus.

Advertisement