Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Rathfarnham / Terenure / Rathgar - Apartment/House Rentals & Commute to City

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,
    Hope all are doing well and looking forward to the long weekend!
    I've been having some real trouble finding suitable 2 bed/2 bath apartments in my preferred locations i.e. Sandyford, Dundrum area, place along the Green Luas. My work location is close to Stephens Green.
    From when we started our househunting, my flatmate and I, our preference was always to live close to Luas network as opposed to Buses as with Luas you can better time your commute to work and all.
    But now with the difficulties we've been having, we're considering renting property in areas served by Bus network.
    Can folks who live in the above mentioned areas, i.e. Rathfarnham/Terenure/Rathgar please share some experience as to what it's like to commute to City via buses? My key concern is about the reliability of the bus network early on in the morning and on days of bad weather for example.
    a) how long it would take roughly in the morning between 7.45ish and 8.15 to commute from the areas mentioned to Stephens Green/Harcourt?
    b) do the buses tend to be quite full early morning when they're coming from these areas? like do you often up missing a bus because there's no space? Or are there buses whose routes originate from these areas?
    c) are there many bus routes that serve the city through these areas? It’s not always very clear from the routes on Dublin bus website.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 time2upgrade

It's a very handy cycle from these areas to Stephens green. Rathgar/terenure would be 10/15 mins. Cycle lane all the way.

Buses can vary. Once your through terenure the 15 gets to town in 20/30 mins at peak. If coming from rathfarnham I find the 16 is a little slower.

Both Buses can be busy from terenure village particularly after 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Why not consider Ranelagh or Donnybrook, both practically walking distance to the Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

40 min walk from Terenure village, 15 min cycle if even to GPO the 15, 65, 59 all pass through Terenure every odd minute. There's about 17 busses in all including the A, b and c's

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭lexluthor

thanks all for responses.. guys particularly interested in Rathfarnham now due to some good options available.. i do realise i'll obviously be totally dependent on buses.. but how bad could it possibly be? is it worth considering? is it roughly a 30 mins commute to harcourt early morning? thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

lexluthor wrote: »
    thanks all for responses.. guys particularly interested in Rathfarnham now due to some good options available.. i do realise i'll obviously be totally dependent on buses.. but how bad could it possibly be? is it worth considering? is it roughly a 30 mins commute to harcourt early morning? thanks

All depends on the weather if I'm honest.

I've been faster walking than riding a bus a few times due to traffic as well.

It's mostly good. Mostly. But expecting 30 mins every day from Rathfarnham is a stretch.

Wonderful place to live though. Worth the hassle IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolverinex

Hi Lex,

I was just wondering if you could share how you got on with the commute into town in the end? I'm in a similar situation and about to start a new job near Stephens Green so I'm looking to rent in the same areas, Rathfarnham in particular as you do seem to get a little more space for your money. Any advice from your own experience would be very welcome!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I lived in Rathgar for 2 years and then Terenure for another 2 years. Cycling to Stephen's Green takes about 15/20 mins. Buses are very regular but some times can be full at peak times in the morning like between 7.50am and 8.30am

Advertisement