Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer from FMP

Options
  • 17-04-2014 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from FindMyPast stating - 'Take advantage of our special Easter offer - get 1 month's unlimited access to our Irish records for only €1.00. Don't miss out - this offer expires at midnight on Friday 18th April 2014. Get unlimited access to our Irish records in time to start your research this Easter weekend.' .........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Claire Santry also tweeted this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I signed up for the month - unfortunately did not realise I needed to cancel and they charged a second month at 9.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

mari2222 wrote: »
    I signed up for the month - unfortunately did not realise I needed to cancel and they charged a second month at 9.95.

I got hit the same way but as it is a tenner and I got good value I did not bother to create a fuss, but have now cancelled..... There were no indications at inception or in subsequent reminders that the one month offer was auto-renewing; there was no mention of it in ‘My Subscription’ page – it was buried way down at the bottom of the ‘Personal details’ page. From a consumer protection point of view, you would be entitled to demand and obtain a refund (or tell your bank it was an unauthorized debit and ask them to refund it.)

It is yet another sign of poor management at Enneclann that they would further alienate the potential customer base by a sneaky debit. Say they did that to 100 potential customers – they gained a thousand euro but caused thousands in reputational damage through adverse publicity (such as this.) D C Thomson should wake up to the way their Irish business is being run.

As for my usage of the site, I found it very clunky, not intuitive in any way and with cr@ap filters. I found nobody to add to my tree, but I got my value out of local history research in the newspapers and the Petty Sessions links. The BMD’s were rubbish, Familysearch (free) is just as good if not better.
    Shame on them!

Advertisement