Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooms speech

Options
  • 17-04-2014 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

I know this has been done to death but im putting together my speech for my own wedding and wanted to know peoples opinions on corny one liners.

Most of the speech is written by myself and is heartfelt but i included one or two one liners from the web

Just wondering is this really corny and i should leave it to just being a sincere , heartfelt speech ?

I am a quiteish guy and dont have experience of speaking in front of large crowds so i would prefer the sincere speech, i just dont want people thinking its boring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't bother trying to be funny or robbing bits from the internet. It stands out a mile in an otherwise sincere speech. Keep it short and sweet and you can't say enough nice things about your new wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

If you are asking question about it then perhaps ne go with what you feel is right..It wont be boring if it connects with the two people, never get tired of hearing how couples met or things like that..Im sure twill be great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Keep it simple and short. No one ever wished a speech was longer than it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

One liners can go horribly wrong.

Just be yourself and tell a true funny story about yourselves if you have one. Thats what we did and people were in the stitches! Obviously nothing offensive or that would cause embarrasment for your OH. If you don't have anything funny then just stick to the gushy stuff. How your OH is your best friend etc.

Avoid internet lines! They do stick out a mile ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

thanks guys.

how we met isnt that funny im afraid, so im going to keep it short and sweet - it will take about 5 mins with the customary gifts to the mummys etc.

one liner in it saying " xxx always dresses to kill, unfortunatelly she cooks the same way" --- is that too corny (its actually true)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

mickman wrote: »
    thanks guys.

how we met isnt that funny im afraid, so im going to keep it short and sweet - it will take about 5 mins with the customary gifts to the mummys etc.

one liner in it saying " xxx always dresses to kill, unfortunatelly she cooks the same way" --- is that too corny (its actually true)

I actually smiled at that :D
    If she's not touchy about her cooking ability I say throw it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Short and sweet go with your gut. I'm freaking out already thinking of my own speech in a few months. Good luck and enjoy your day.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I actually smiled at that :D
    If she's not touchy about her cooking ability I say throw it in!

I said it to her already and she was fine about it.

Is 5 mins long enough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

5 minutes is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

That line is fine, i smiled at it too. Its all down to how you deliver it. You know yourself when people try too hard and it just ends up cringey :)

• Advertisement

yes, i have been to weddings like that. one was where the groom was well able to speak but spent about 25 mins thanking people and was thanking them in an overboard way - it all went very flat in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭skippy15

Anything specific you want advice on?
    Few timely one liners work well, ive done a groom and best man speech over the past few months and received lots of compliments on both
    Send me a PM if ya want either-
    Practice it so you nealry know if off by heart, and practice it in front of one or two choice friends or families.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mickman wrote: »
    yes, i have been to weddings like that. one was where the groom was well able to speak but spent about 25 mins thanking people and was thanking them in an overboard way - it all went very flat in the end

I know so boring! Thanks to the wedding staff, ye have been brilliant from the very first day right to this morning and now today looking after every little thing. In particular thanks to Mary the wedding co-ordinator in the hotel,

Blah blah blah. You're paying them a fortune, you kind of expect them to do all of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Don't worry about being funny - that's the best man's job!

It's much better to be sincere.

Please don't use any one-liners, especially those you've found on the internet.

I used to work in a wedding venue and the guys who used stuff from the internet stood out like a sore thumb, and in a bad way!

Just speak from the heart and you'll be fine!!

Don't worry about being funny - that's the best man's job!

It's much better to be sincere.

Please don't use any one-liners, especially those you've found on the internet.

I used to work in a wedding venue and the guys who used stuff from the internet stood out like a sore thumb, and in a bad way!

Just speak from the heart and you'll be fine!!

ok thanks for the advice.

amdublin wrote: »
    I know so boring! Thanks to the wedding staff, ye have been brilliant from the very first day right to this morning and now today looking after every little thing. In particular thanks to Mary the wedding co-ordinator in the hotel,

Blah blah blah. You're paying them a fortune, you kind of expect them to do all of the above.

yes, this is beyond silly. The hotel should be doing a speech thanking me!

Advertisement