Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skyrim Mods

• 16-04-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

I was looking on Steam through the abyss of Mods available for Skyrim. Very hard to know what to subscribe to, so was wondering what people around here are using - Also if anyone wants to suggest a Mod i should have, i'd be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I would highly recommend going here and getting their mod manager instead of relying on the Steam Workshop. Start yourself off by getting SkyUI. It revamps the inventory and shop menus, which for me makes the game so much more playable.

I haven't dabbled with much beyond that as I don't want to interfere too much until I've had my fun with the vanilla game, but there is so much out there and there is a good rating system on nexus mods which will help you sort the wheat from the chaff.

I just realised this thread is pretty old. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I just realised this thread is pretty old. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice, despite the age of the thread, it's very useful indeed!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I like Immersive Armours (I think it's spelled Armors cos it's american) and Immersive Weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

I agree with Alex about Nexus Mod Manager (NMM).

First of all, get the Unofficial Updates (they will sort out glitches and bugs in the game that Bethesda never fixed; there's one for Skyrim, and then one for each of the DLCs and get SKSE. A lot of mods relies on it.

Try Alternate start - Live another life: It allows you to start the game at different places, as opposed to a captive at Helgen.

The Civil War Overhaul does a good job of revamping the Civil War.

Interesting NPCs adds a lot of new NPCs with voiced dialogue.

Move it, Dammit does what it says; get NPCs and followers that gets you stuck in doorways and such to move.

Barenziah Quest Markers gives each of the gems for that quest a marker; makes it less tedious finding them.

Dual Sheath Redux Allows you to wear two weapons and your shield on your back. I think you can put a staff on your back too.

Auto Unequip Helmet automatically moves your helmet to your inventory when you're out of battle, so you can admire your sexy character in third person. ;)

Deadly Dragons makes dragons terrifying again. It also comes with a Deadly Monsters option.

Death Alternative - Your money or your life stops you from dying and and a random events can occur depending on the situation: Robbed, left for dead; captured and ransomed etc.

Familiar Faces - need to start a new character because you have done every possible quest with the old, but you don't want to lose him/her? Import them as followers into your current game.

Use L.O.O.T to sort your load order, or else you will have major issues and nothing will work right. It might advice you to get TES5Edit to fix stuff. Gopher's has some good mod tutorials on YouTube: He is incredibly drawn out, but you'll learn everything you need to know about modding, Loot and TES5Edit.

I'll add if I can think of anything else.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just adding another couple of mods I like.

Heljarchen Farm (not sure if I spelled that right). A player buildable farm just between Loreius Farm and Heljarchen Hall - the hearthfire home in the Pale. You can have a farm, a meadery, a guard house, and a greenhouse. You also hire guards, meadery workers and farm workers. The farm generates income that you can collect every week.

More plants & recipes allows you to plant items that you wouldn't usually be able to plant like nirnroot, crimson nirnroot, garlic, elves ear, frost mirram, etc. Also if you have the dawnguard add-on it lets you plant Gleamblossoms & Poison Blooms & yellow mountain flowers. You need to have Hearthfire to play this.

Civil War Repairs because it just pissed me off the way
    the area around the Gildergreen in Whiterun was just left in a complete mess after the civil war ended. And the broken houses were never fixed. I mean, I know maybe the coffers are a bit light after the war, but would it really be that hard to fix a bit of trellis? FFS! I couldn't give a toss about Windhelm, that place was a kip to begin with, but Whiterun was so pretty!

Dawn of Whiterun, Dawn of Windhelm there's a 'dawn of' for all the main cities. Basically it just pretties up the place a bit, adds in a few merchants with stalls etc. Whiterun's one adds in some more flowers, and a lot of merchants in the plains district, and two in the winds district. Windhelm's one tidies the place up a bit and makes the Grey Quarter have some more dunmer influence, also gives it a few merchant stands also.

Helgen Reborn I like this one because - as the name suggests - you get to rebuild Helgen. Now I will say that some of the characters are a bit tiresome, but you don't really have to interact with them if you don't want to. It's nice to see Helgen the way it was at the start of the game, cos you don't really have time to look around when you're waiting to be decapitated.
    also when you finish the questline in the mod they give you a sweet-ass tower as a reward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

This is the 1st game where I've delved into the mod world, and it has given it a new lease of life (just as well as t'will be a while before TES 6)

I previously played it on the PS3 and I reckon I've as much time spent on it again on the PC and I have only finished the Winterhold magic college & Dark Brotherhood quest lines and haven't even started the official dlc's (except for Heartfire).

Once I get through this, I'll replay Oblivion and Morrowind with mods.
    Some of the bigger mods are really impressive from both a visual and technical point of view.

I wonder how much Bethesda looks at the mod community for ideas to incorporate into the next game? Those such as Frostfall and imersive armour/weapons really add to the game, so will/can they incorporate them into future games? As they allow and encourage the mod community, is it fair to assume they will freely use ideas & concepts from the mods even with time & budget restrains restricting the development cycle somewhat?

Paulbok, I think they (the devs) are going to be even less bothered with mods now. I don't know if you saw mods are coming to Xbox One Fallout 4? And PS4 is to follow.

Why bother with stuff that the community will do themselves and will actually extend the game's life?

I'm sure they will add a functionality or two to the game, but to be honest, I spent a lot of time modding my game, and I can't say whether I enjoyed the game more, or the modding. It's been loads of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Are SSE mods available yet?

Yeah there's a good few out already, you'll see them in the mods section of the startup screen in the game (the one with load, new etc) or you can get them on nexus as well. Just be aware if you use them, you can't earn achievements unless you download Achievement Mods Enabler. I'm on mobile so I can't link now, but I posted a link to it in the SSE thread here.

Toots wrote: »
    Yeah there's a good few out already, you'll see them in the mods section of the startup screen in the game (the one with load, new etc) or you can get them on nexus as well. Just be aware if you use them, you can't earn achievements unless you download Achievement Mods Enabler. I'm on mobile so I can't link now, but I posted a link to it in the SSE thread here.

Would it be worth starting a SSE mod's thread as most of the skyrim mods need to be ported?

• Advertisement

Tbh, I don't think there's enough activity here to warrant a new thread, unless it's because the thread is old.

Tbh, I don't think there's enough activity here to warrant a new thread, unless it's because the thread is old.

Lets all leave then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mod: Toots kindly went to the trouble of making a thread for the special edition last night. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057667710

Lets all leave then?!

No, I just meant that we might just carry on with the current one.

Mod: Toots kindly went to the trouble of making a thread for the special edition last night. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057667710

It's a bit thick that mods disable achievements why bother deflating accomplishments? Ship a game with mod's and then say ah but you won't get achievements its not as if they are cheat codes or anything they are there to enhance and refresh the experience of an old game!
    No, I just meant that we might just carry on with the current one.

Completely different engine mods need to port over some probably won't work at all! Besides how many mods have come about that you wouldn't want to play or install again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It's a bit thick that mods disable achievements why bother deflating accomplishments? Ship a game with mod's and then say ah but you won't get achievements its not as if they are cheat codes or anything they are there to enhance and refresh the experience of an old game!

Completely different engine mods need to port over some probably won't work at all! Besides how many mods have come about that you wouldn't want to play or install again?

Not sure why you're quoting me there but okay? :D

Not sure why you're quoting me there but okay? :D

Right sorry. No just didn't want to post it in that thread!

Advertisement