Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal heat pump, UFH and towel rails

Options
  • 15-04-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, just looking for some advice.

We are installing a Geothermal Heatpump with UFH on both floors.
    Is it advisable to connect towel rails to this system or should we just go with electric heated towel rails separate to the geothermal system.

Thanks in advance,
    L. Demps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

L.Demps wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for some advice.

We are installing a Geothermal Heatpump with UFH on both floors.
    Is it advisable to connect towel rails to this system or should we just go with electric heated towel rails separate to the geothermal system.

Thanks in advance,
    L. Demps

Separate electric towel rails. The towel rails will need an increased temperature which will pull down the efficiency of the overall system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 L.Demps

I was thinking that myself, thanks for your reply! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

Just coming to that point myself too (similar with UFH upstairs & downstairs).

Is there really a need for the heated towel rails (electric or otherwise)?
    Are they required to gently heat the towels or to help dry them out?

I will have a MHRV system installed also, so that "should" help with drying the towels.

Just wondering what other opinions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Big Dec wrote: »
    Just coming to that point myself too (similar with UFH upstairs & downstairs).

Is there really a need for the heated towel rails (electric or otherwise)?
    Are they required to gently heat the towels or to help dry them out?

I will have a MHRV system installed also, so that "should" help with drying the towels.

Just wondering what other opinions are.

I have them and to be honest they are a bit of a gimmick...they look nice but when have you eve taken a shower and thought "i'm glad my towel is on a heated rail!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

My thought was not to bother putting them in at all, but was wondering if I would regret it later.
    I think I'll just leave them out altogether.
    Seems like some people use oversized rails as a secondary heating source for the bathroom.
    I'll just put my faith in the UFC & MHRV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement