Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project maths - help required!!!!

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys... So I'm doing this question from the educate.ie sample papers and I'm really stuck on this question based on a normal distribution curve. The curve is drawn for you, and you have to get the median, UQ, LQ and IQ range all of which I've done. Now I have to find the standard deviation of the curve and I'm not sure what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

What is the paper and question number?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishlassy1

lostatsea wrote: »
    What is the paper and question number?

It's the educate.ie Sample 4, Paper 2 Q4... Thanks so much!

Solution to Question 4

Solution to Question 4

Thank you ever so much, I've been at it hours now!!!!

Thank you ever so much, I've been at it hours now!!!!

May seem like a stupid question but where does the 0.675 come from in part c?

• Advertisement

You need to look up the z scores for standard normal distributions on page 36 of the Formulae and Tables book.

You need to look up the z scores for standard normal distributions on page 36 of the Formulae and Tables book.

Did that but I don't think they match?

Go to 0.7486 in the table on page 36. This corresponds to a z score of 0.67. 0.75 is about halfway between 0.7486 and 0.7517 giving an approximate z score of 0.675.

Go to 0.7486 in the table on page 36. This corresponds to a z score of 0.67. 0.75 is about halfway between 0.7486 and 0.7517 giving an approximate z score of 0.675.

God I do feel a little daft. Thanks so much for the help :-)

Advertisement