Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Uilleann Pipes

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi Everyone,

Am currently thinking of taking up the Uilleann pipes, I know the general consensus is that they are a very difficult instrument to learn and master, and I don't have issue with that think they sound great and always been an ambition of mine to play, but am just wondering about a few specifics/things:

1) Would I be better of buying a second hand practice set as apposed to a new set?
    2) How much would a new set of practice pipes cost and take to make?
    3) Finally are there many instructors in Munster? (as I travel a lot in Munster so location isn't too much of a problem) and what would be the average cost of a lesson?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

1) I wouldn't have an issue with a second hand set provided the set was made by a reputable maker and is in good condition/playable. I'd recommend Victor Mullally in South Kilkenny.
    2) I am thinking about €1500 would be at the top end for a practice set(I could be off on that quote)
    3) There are a number of teachers throughout Munster.
    • In Ennis Blackie O'Connell/Tom Delany run classes each week https://www.facebook.com/pipingennis
    • In Cork City, the Cork Pipers club run weekly classes http://www.corkpipersclub.com/
    • In the Fermoy area Jimmy Morrision and Rosaleen O’Leary teach
    • I'm not sure who teaches in Limerick, but there should be a number of teachers because of the IWMC in UL. Mickey Dunne would know.
    • In Waterford, they also have weekly classes (Joe Daly is the probably the person to contact there)
    • In Kilkenny John Tuohy organises monthly classes
    • Failing the above you could ask Na Piobairi Uilleann for a list of teachers in the Munster area, www.pipers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

nuttz wrote: »
    1) I wouldn't have an issue with a second hand set provided the set was made by a reputable maker and is in good condition/playable. I'd recommend Victor Mullally in South Kilkenny.
    2) I am thinking about €1500 would be at the top end for a practice set(I could be off on that quote)
    3) There are a number of teachers throughout Munster.
    • In Ennis Blackie O'Connell/Tom Delany run classes each week https://www.facebook.com/pipingennis
    • In Cork City, the Cork Pipers club run weekly classes http://www.corkpipersclub.com/
    • In the Fermoy area Jimmy Morrision and Rosaleen O’Leary teach
    • I'm not sure who teaches in Limerick, but there should be a number of teachers because of the IWMC in UL. Mickey Dunne would know.
    • In Waterford, they also have weekly classes (Joe Daly is the probably the person to contact there)
    • In Kilkenny John Tuohy organises monthly classes
    • Failing the above you could ask Na Piobairi Uilleann for a list of teachers in the Munster area, www.pipers.ie

That's great info, thanks very much. Would you know if I ended up going to a professional pipes maker how long it would take?. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

TacAide wrote: »
    That's great info, thanks very much. Would you know if I ended up going to a professional pipes maker how long it would take?. Thanks again.

For a practice set your wait could be from 'no wait' to 'up to a year'. It's worth mentioning that most clubs will have sets available to loan out.

nuttz wrote: »
    For a practice set your wait could be from 'no wait' to 'up to a year'. It's worth mentioning that most clubs will have sets available to loan out.

Thanks very much again for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

That's a good way to go. I was lucky enough to get a loan set for a year to try them out. They're not cheap so you need to be sure you'll pursue them before making the investment. I then bought a half-set secondhand the following year Good luck with it. Love playing them even though still very much a beginner with them.

• Advertisement

That's a good way to go. I was lucky enough to get a loan set for a year to try them out. They're not cheap so you need to be sure you'll pursue them before making the investment. I then bought a half-set secondhand the following year Good luck with it. Love playing them even though still very much a beginner with them.

I was looking a joining a local ceoltas group and maybe getting a loan of a practice set to start with, but figured that it would be easier in the long run to have my own set at hand whenever I wanted to practice, learn new tunes and for playing in sessions, did you find the Uilleann pipes hard starting out?.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

They take a bit of getting used to alright. I had played recorder for years so that kind of helped in knowing where the notes were but I had to learn to adjust my fingers. Recorder is played with fingertips and chanter on the pipes is more like the tin whistle, back of your fingers. Also, just trying to get used to using the bellows on the right and the bag on the left and getting even air going through them takes a while. You'll prob sound atrocious to begin with ( I certainly did!) but it's like anything. All down to practice and consistency.

They take a bit of getting used to alright. I had played recorder for years so that kind of helped in knowing where the notes were but I had to learn to adjust my fingers. Recorder is played with fingertips and chanter on the pipes is more like the tin whistle, back of your fingers. Also, just trying to get used to using the bellows on the right and the bag on the left and getting even air going through them takes a while. You'll prob sound atrocious to begin with ( I certainly did!) but it's like anything. All down to practice and consistency.

Ya I was told that the tin whistle was very similar alright, have been playing the whistle for two years now, thanks for the insight and help.

Advertisement