Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menswear for hot summer wedding

Options
  • 15-04-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,
    Myself and my bf are going to a wedding in Spain in June. It's going to be around 35 degrees +. I have my dress sorted but I have no idea what my bf should wear.

Obviously a suit but maybe without the jacket? I'm wearing a coral red colour but I've no idea what colour trousers/tie/shirt he should go for.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I attended a wedding in Spain last summer and it was a similar situation. You could check, but there's a good chance the wedding may be on later in the day, certainly later than we're used to, to get over the heat situation. So it could begin around 4pm and by 6pm it would be that bit cooler.

I wore a suit. And I managed to keep the whole suit together for the night. Definitely don't let him wear a suit with no jacket - he'll look like a waiter, or like he just forgot his jacket. If he's going to do it, he could look at getting a linen suit - M&S would be a good place to look. Something in a beige:

linen+suit+wedding.jpg

If it is slightly less formal, he could go with a sports coat / trousers option, either a cream linen jacket with white trousers and no tie, like this:

White+trousers+fro+the+Summer.jpg

edit - it was actually Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yellow1

Hi there, that's great thanks for the advice. I will make sure he goes for the suit jacket - I never thought about the waiter situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I second the other posters thoughts - without a matching jacket it's not a suit, just shirt and trousers :)

I will also be attending a wedding in a hotter climate this Summer and have a navy linen suit to wear. I would definitely recommend this option over most wool suits and of course the dreaded polyester.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

As others have said, a navy linenjacket, with cream or white or light linen trousers should look the business.

• Advertisement

ladhrann wrote: »
    As others have said, a navy linenjacket, with cream or white or light linen trousers should look the business.

Saying that, at the wedding I went to all the men were in suits. You'll need to check the level of formality as jacket / white trousers would be a more informal look.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

I was in m&s over the weekend and they had a mannequin wearing a grey suit with a really nice blue check/gingham shirt with no tie, and I thought it looked really lovely and maybe suitable for a hot weather wedding (myself and the bf are also going to a hot summer wedding so I'm on the lookout too :D).
    The shirt looked like one that didn't need a tie too, had a really nice collar on it.

So maybe full suit but no tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

miss-p wrote: »
    I was in m&s over the weekend and they had a mannequin wearing a grey suit with a really nice blue check/gingham shirt with no tie, and I thought it looked really lovely and maybe suitable for a hot weather wedding (myself and the bf are also going to a hot summer wedding so I'm on the lookout too :D).
    The shirt looked like one that didn't need a tie too, had a really nice collar on it.

That might well be fine but for me the bigger issue is choosing the right material i.e. linen.

miss-p wrote: »

Again, it'll be down to the informality / formality of the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Had a wedding in Croatia 35+ during the summer. I was best man and obviously did not want to sweat too much giving the speech.....went to ZARA and this time of year they will have nice suits in a lighter material.....worth a look.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill to everyone for the suggestions. I'm dragging the other half out to the shops at the weekend to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Before you spend a fortune, maybe check with the bride or groom as to the expectation/formality etc. For all you know it could be a beachy type wedding where only casual trousers and shirts are required - a summer linen suit could be a waste if you never wear it again in rainy, cold Ireland.

Easy Rider wrote: »
    went to ZARA

Just make sure there's little or no polyester in the suit. You could get away with a wool suit if it is light enough; that would be wearable in our summer too. I wore a suit at the wedding I went to that I still wear here, through the winter too.

I checked with the bride and she said he can wear whatever he feels comfortable in. It's not overly formal as it's a beachy wedding so just as long as it's smart it will do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I was at a wedding in Spain followed by a wedding in Portugal a couple of years ago. Two separate groups of friends, so I wore the same gear to both.

I just wore a shirt and trousers. No jacket or tie. A lot of the lads at both weddings wore suits and they all agreed they shouldn't have bothered with the jackets.

If the bride is happy with casual, then I'd ditch the suit idea and just get a nice pair of trousers and a nice shirt.

Advertisement