Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help In Maths and English [Both Higher Level]

Options
  • 14-04-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I did Maths and Economics in my mocks and I was pretty disappointed to get 48% in maths and 45% in English Higher Level. Any idea how you can step it up from D`s to B`s because I hope to perform well in this subject. Any advice on both subjects. New Maths syslabus is horrible!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Hi MathsHater!

What areas did you fall down on in English? I'm a qualified teacher so hopefully I can give you a few tips - what areas do you struggle with the most?

As for Maths.....I struggled with that one too. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 typicalstudent

Hey Maths hater, I'm not a qualified teacher but I'm currently studying for my leaving cert also and the only certain high B or A I can guarantee myself is in English, sorry about math you won't find help from me!

In my opinion regarding English is that it is vital to make yours stand out. If you haven't got the capabilities to do that via language, try and make the plot of your paper 1 essay zany and different. Note there is a difference between zany and ridiculous. Don't go and write out a plot similar to Grand theft auto, because a lot of people some to be doing that and it's ridiculous. Try and cram as much description into every single thing you write about, even if there is only one thing happening in the plot, make it happen and make it happen gloriously.

If you're not a personal essay or short story kind of guy just make sure your points in the speech are valid and hard to argue against yourself, have everything prepared prior to going into the exam because time is tight, the more you know the quicker you will write it. When it comes to letters etc just make sure the format is correct and, again, make it different to everyone else. It's easier than it sounds, don't write the first thing that comes into your head, maybe don't give it a happy ending? Again, prepare it all before the exam.

When it comes to poetry, try and analyse it yourself. I understand it's hard to find the time (especially if you're doing HL math) to look at the poetry and give your own opinion, when it's probably easier to learn the notes given to you. Again this contributes to originality, because every other student will be writing what your teacher has written, but nobody knows what's in your head. This also helps you learn it a lot easier as it's your own original thought that will definitely appeal to your memory more than somebody else's thoughts.

Your comparative is, in my opinion, the most boring part of the course. It's very childish but thankfully because of this it's very straight forward. Get your three texts, and make 30 comparisons between all of them, stemming from five core topics, again, make these comparisons your own as much as you can for the same reason.

I sought the help of a guy in my school who got an A1 in HL last year for my P1 essay, although he didn't mention the originality I am, he did suggest playing a game. Gather a friend or two and allow each person only one word each. For example you start with "The" and the next person says "cat" or "slimy", or whatever adjective or noun, and proceed to tell a story with your friends. It sounds immature now but can actually be good enough craic so give it a go. Best of luck in your exams pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

For maths pick a chapter and do every question in the book, i know it is tedious but if youre not naturally gifted a lot of work has to be done. If ya dont have too much time hit the papers(edco,i personlly feel there better) and go through each year question by question. Getting a pass will be easy enough if you can comprhend half of what is goin on in the papers

Advertisement