Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First trout on nymph

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Caught my first trout on the nymph yesterday .Not very big but it is a start.I was using a hares ear nymph with a 3 mm gold bead on it.What is the principle behind the gold bead apart from being used to sink the fly.Any more tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Caught my first trout on the nymph yesterday .Not very big but it is a start.I was using a hares ear nymph with a 3 mm gold bead on it.What is the principle behind the gold bead apart from being used to sink the fly.Any more tips appreciated.

that's pretty much all it does.it gives a bit of flash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Would it not give too much flash when sun is shining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Soft hackles are also a great style of nymphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Would it not give too much flash when sun is shining.

Not really the bead gets the fly down deep fast.

Should any life be imparted in the fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

you can do little jerks. the video i just put up was just dead drifting back toward me. some times little jerks can induce a take. but if you want to move the fly you have retrieve fairly quick to pull the slack in faster than the rate of the water.

Got that dvd that was recommended. The Oliver Edwards one.Good dvd too. Might try that.

during the summer when water levels are low would a beadless one be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

yeah go lighter and smaler in low water. try upstream with spiders

Advertisement