Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish I Was Here (Zach Braff)

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭

The first teaser trailer for Zach Braff's Kickstarter-funded follow-up to Garden State:

The movie was pretty much universally slated at Sundance but the teaser is definitely interesting enough to make me want to see more... some quite bizarre visuals mixed in there - sort of remiscent of the Garden State teaser actually.

Solid cast including Mandy "Saul Berenson" Patinkin, Kate "Blander Than Bland" Hudson, Donald "Brown Bear" Faison and Jim "Sheldon Cooper" Parsons.

Plus Braff always has a good ear for music (big ol' fan of The Shins clearly judging by their excellent music in the trailer, and featured very heavily in Garden State) so we're guaranteed a solid soundtrack if nothing else.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved Garden State, so even if this is panned i'll definitely watch it. It's not a direct follow up to Garden State though, is it? More of a spiritual successor?

Looking forward to the soundtrack as well. GS has an amazing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kiith wrote: »
    I loved Garden State, so even if this is panned i'll definitely watch it. It's not a direct follow up to Garden State though, is it? More of a spiritual successor?

Looking forward to the soundtrack as well. GS has an amazing one.
    Nope, it's a directorial follow-up more than anything else.

And it's look like the soundtrack will be more in the same vein as Garden State.. no complaints here!

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/03/braff-soundtrack-braffness-wish-i-were-here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Why would he need to get it Kickstarter feunded, I assume Garden State did well in the cinema and on DVD, it's pretty much one of the respected cult hit's of the 00's that he can make whatever film he wants.

This actually looks pretty good and also well shot, Braff's films feel so un-American if that doesn't sound a bit weird, which is why I loved Garden State. Great soundtrack too. Not a big fan of anything with Kate Hudson (aside from Almost Famous) , it looks more a cameo then anything else. Here's hoping it's a touching funny comedy drama and good follow up to Garden state.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks kinda good... I expected worse after the last few comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    That looks kinda good... I expected worse after the last few comments.
    Yeah, I do really like Braff to be honest... but he has plenty of haters.

I did prefer the teaser however as a it made it look a bit offbeat - whereas the trailer makes it look a bit like a conventional family-centered dramedy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve seen this movie before and I preferred it when it was called Elizabethtown. It suffers from much the same issues that movie suffered from. A lot of self-conscious quirk that falls flat. I have a soft spot for these kinds of movies but only when they are done right. I like the idea of a guy in his 30s, married with kids having to deal with starting over rather than a single guy with no commitments. But the film doesn’t really deal with it. It all becomes about the father, then everything works out, music plays, the end. It’s all too safe and reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wanted to see it, but it seems to have gone from cineworld after less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cloud493 wrote: »
    I wanted to see it, but it seems to have gone from cineworld after less than a week.

Wanted to see this too but it seems to be gone from everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

cloud493 wrote: »

I'm shocked myself it went that quick to be honest. Must not have done that well. I enjoyed it, it's no Garden State but you have to give it for wearing it's heart firmly on it's sleeve and it is touching but it wasn't worth the wait after the brilliance of Braff debut film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't think this was great, didn't flow very well and I never felt really invested in what was going on. Too self indulgent and disjointed. The sc-fi fantasies didn't work at all. I wasn't bored watching it and it was all very nice but I wouldn't recommend it.

Advertisement