Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Online Clothes shops? Something different?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Been looking to stock up some clobber and down in Limerick. As the selection of mens clothes shops in Limerick city is horrendous, I'm going to have to go online again.

So far, from what I can see, my main options are Asos, Littlewoods, Debenhams, Next, Zara, River Island.

I'm not too gone on a lot of the Next stuff. It's ok for jocks, socks, things like that.

I'm too old for the River Island stuff. (I'm 37)

A lot of the Zara stuff is shocking this time around in my opinion.

The littlewoods stuff seems to cater for the younger type, or the football hooligan type.

I'm a bit of an indie/alternative soul, so always on the look out for the quirky but subtle stuff.

Any other recommendations? I'm fresh out. Are there continental European shops/websites that would ship to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Maybe try the oxendales/jacamo site. I got a few nice shirts, tops and shoes for himself (33) recently, sizes and longer lenghts are great, can take alot of searching to find some nice stuff, hopefully worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll have a butchers at those sites. Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

M & M Direct are sometimes reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

http://www.soliver.eu/herren/bestseller/me_ko_top_seller,en,sc.html

Maybe not indie but they are handy for basics. Their men's stuff is also very good quality. I don't like their women's fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

other half is in the same boat.

likes pull and bear sometimes mango

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Rather than specify the shops, specify what kinds of things you are looking to wear. What style do you like? You might find you get jeans from Brown Thomas but t shirts from H&M. I tend to do that, mix up things that are expensive with inexpensive things, and that varied approach means you can get more items.

Look at brands too; Arnotts might be good as they have a lot of brands under one roof - so you might decide to get a jacket in Hilfiger but mix that with Levi's jeans and a Penguin t shirt or something.

Yes, I agree with you. Picked up a pair of gstar cargo pants earlier. They cost me a few quid. I feel guilty spending over €100 on trousers for some reason, like it's outrageous.

They will last for ages, as anything gstar I had before lasted for yonks.

I was going to get some Asos brand plain tshirts, but hear mixed reports on their quality?

Styles I like would be the guys in the band Mastodon. They wear plain enough clothes, but still have the alternative type of look, so plain style tshirts, or western style shirts.

Or the guys in Incubus or later day Chester Bennington. All roughly around my age.

Richard Patrick of Filter is another guy, plain enough style wise, but still not looking quite "regular".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

OK, well then you need to get some logo-ed t shirts, maybe Vans or somesuch; Tribe in Stephen's Green centre has logo t shirts, skater wear and so on - you could pick up some nice t shirts there and perhaps a few casual check shirts in there too.

Mastodon sort of mix a metal look with a casual look - with a bit of punk thrown in. A good brand for shirts would be Penguin - you can get cheap ones in TK Max. Good fit and they last for ages. Western shirts - there's a place in George's Street arcade where you can get them, or the brand Firetrap often have shirts with stitching similar to a western shirt, but not quite as out there.

For plain t shirts I highly recommend H&M. You can get 100% cotton t shirts for a fiver. They last very well and are a good fit.

Jeans - you gotta spend to get decent ones, I find. Diesel would be my preferred brand. 125 for a pair is high enough, but wait for the sales and you can probably get them for under 100.

Lastly, for shoes I like to wear the Vans Rata Vulc, they are very comfortable and surprisingly hard wearing; as I am roughly the same age as you I find with those I don't feel like an old man wearing a teenager's clothes - like the checkerboard Vans - something you need to be very careful about as you approach 40!

The guys you mentioned are all around our age but can get away with dressing young because they are in rock bands and need to appeal to the young - its different when you're just a dude from Ireland. I'd be careful to not go too far down the skater look, but find that nice balance somewhere in the middle. Says me with arm fulls of tattoos and shaved head! :)

I should have said, not the skater era Incubus, but more how they look now! I'd be staying away from big skater logos on tshirts, baggy jeans etc. Just keepin it plain. :)

I do agree that bands can get away with it for a lot longer than the regular Joe. I do play music though. ;)

I wouldn't be wearing spandex or low cut tshirts or vests though!!

I like the way the lads in Mastodon look like they could be now or 10 years ago, not over trendy....

I'll check out H&M so for the tshirts.

Yep, I have found, with jeans, in general, if you pay more, they will last a lot longer than some of the cheaper ones, and tend to be a better fit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

• Advertisement
Advertisement