Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPV - worth it?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of trying FPV. I have a Bixler and a reasonable TX/RX (Turnigy 9X). I've priced the various bits and will be making DIY goggles (5" 800*480 screen with a Fresnel lens) as the video goggles are way too expensive. Is it really worth it thought? I know the resolution isn't HD, but the videos i've seen are a bit too grainy for my liking. I won't be recording the footage as frankly I think it's pointless, so no GoPro either.

So, given that I won't be recording the footage in HD, is FPV really worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭jiayf

man, go for it! you will love it! you dont really need a GoPro to recording the footage in hd, there is a lots option for it, ect 808 16#(720P) sj4000(1080P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm thinking of trying FPV. I have a Bixler and a reasonable TX/RX (Turnigy 9X). I've priced the various bits and will be making DIY goggles (5" 800*480 screen with a Fresnel lens) as the video goggles are way too expensive. Is it really worth it thought? I know the resolution isn't HD, but the videos i've seen are a bit too grainy for my liking. I won't be recording the footage as frankly I think it's pointless, so no GoPro either.

So, given that I won't be recording the footage in HD, is FPV really worth it?

This HD thing is too much of a buzz word or something. The point of fpv is just that, flying by video link. Using the display to navigate. I used to do a fair bit of it with a cheap 10 euro camera with not the best of quality video, but easily good enough for fpv. But add in a navigation setup and its great to fly with. I used eagle tree pro setup, and it was great for looking for thermals, as you'd see altitude reading start to increase in a thermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Decided not to, seems like a real waste of money. Thanks for the input anyway.

Decided not to, seems like a real waste of money. Thanks for the input anyway.

So is rc flying, if a person is not into it. Or anything else that costs money.

Ok, so I changed my mind and the gear will be arriving in the next few weeks to solder up, test and put into my Bixler 1. Any tips on flying FPV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Ok, so I changed my mind and the gear will be arriving in the next few weeks to solder up, test and put into my Bixler 1. Any tips on flying FPV?

For your first flights bring a spotter, it's unbelievably easy to get disorientated with the view and lose the plane (even with an OSD & gps). Having someone with you who can reassure you they can see the plane helps a lot.

For the first few flights it's probably easier to launch line of sight and then switch to fpv. Fpv takeoffs can be intimidating as it's very easy to stall until you get the hang of it. Fpv landings are very easy though.

Don't lose track of time, very easy to do also, and you could damage the lipo or lose the plane, worst case.

Also, fly directly upwind, its easier to find your way back if disorientated, and the glider will tend to drift toward you than further away.

Ensure it flies nice and straight with hands off, which makes keeping control a lot easier and you can concentrate better on where you are.

I used eagle tree pro setup, which makes navigation very easy. Even with that, I used to pick out landmarks in the distance, for further references.

Its surprising how easy it is to lose track of where you are going, even in areas you know well.

I also usually do a few seconds of flight in the 4 compass directions to get good idea of wind speed and direction, which can be different than how it appears on the ground. The eagle tree would tell me aircraft ground speed, so I could easily get wind direction and speed before flying off a couple of km's.

FPV is definitely easier in calm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i only started into fpv flying 3-4 weeks ago and i have a bixler 2 and the fatshark fpv setup so i am a novice as well and you will need a spotter because you WILL loose the plane without one i have only had two solo flights under my belt so far out of 10 flights also try and fly in the same field and use the same land marks just until you get the hang of fpv flying my landmarks is a farm and two separate cluster of trees because the world looks very different from the sky also dont fly fast because things happen very quickly and relax because if your tense you wont enjoy it but its a brilliant pastime and the views can be stunning

smokin ace wrote: »
    i only started into fpv flying 3-4 weeks ago and i have a bixler 2 and the fatshark fpv setup so i am a novice as well and you will need a spotter because you WILL loose the plane without one i have only had two solo flights under my belt so far out of 10 flights also try and fly in the same field and use the same land marks just until you get the hang of fpv flying my landmarks is a farm and two separate cluster of trees because the world looks very different from the sky also dont fly fast because things happen very quickly and relax because if your tense you wont enjoy it but its a brilliant pastime and the views can be stunning

Thanks, good advice. Just got all the bits today, will solder them up over the next few days and test. Thinking of fitting the plane with DIY landing gear as it's going to get heavy!

Thanks, good advice. Just got all the bits today, will solder them up over the next few days and test. Thinking of fitting the plane with DIY landing gear as it's going to get heavy!

to be honest there is no need for the landing gear as its only adding extra weight what size battery are you using

• Advertisement

smokin ace wrote: »
    to be honest there is no need for the landing gear as its only adding extra weight what size battery are you using

2800mah, the more the better. Spent the day soldering, cut the top off the Bix to give the most space to fit stuff in. Did you mod the Bix at all?

2800mah, the more the better. Spent the day soldering, cut the top off the Bix to give the most space to fit stuff in. Did you mod the Bix at all?

the only mod i did on my plane was upgrade the wing spar because its a bit weak also i bought a plywood canopy to fix my camera mount to but thats it and the things flies great i have an on screen display on the way so i can fly a good bit further away my current record so far is a half a mile and i think this is very good seen as i am only new to fpv but i think its a brilliant pass time but a few people have asked have i lost the plot when they see me sitting in the middle of the field with what they think is swimming goggles on

Advertisement