Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw golf mk3 1.4 sluggish

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

i have a 98 mk3 golf 1.4 petrol timing was out by a tooth so adjusted it and got it running.

Now the car is sluggish under load ie going up hills.

so far ive adjusted timing
    new plug leads
    cleaned the plugs

Also after driving 12 miles and then going up a hill i noticed the exhaust manifold was glowing red.

anyone any ideas o what i could try next

could the timing still be out a little bit

thanks in advance
    kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

petrol:air ratio - Lambda sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Check the exhaust, may be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

dieselbug wrote: »
    Check the exhaust, may be blocked.

cat had bits broke in it and blocking it and also timing was still out a tooth just to my stupidity someone had a tipex mark on the cam pulley and i set it to that rather then the dot but all is good now for the time been

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

Hey guys, hope i found the right place to put this but i have a question. I have a 2001 mk4 golf (1.4) but it seems to be lacking a bit of power when it goes past 2500 rpm. I dont really mind when driving around my area, but when on the motorway it seems like some of those horses have turned to ponies. I know the car has only 75 bhp but come on.
    Is there anything i can do besides buying performance parts? or is there any problems that could be there?

Any advice will be appreciated - Thanks

Advertisement