Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost as 270 new jobs announced for Limerick

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭

Finally been announced, great to have more production jobs in the area.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/boost-as-270-new-jobs-announced-for-limerick-30183901.html

Medical company Ethicon Biosurgery Ireland has announced it will create 270 jobs in Co Limerick.

The jobs will be created over the next five years.

Around 150 temporary construction jobs will also be created, due to the planned €80 million investment in a manufacturing facility at the National Technology Park in Plassey.

Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton was at the announcement in Limerick this morning and said: “Manufacturing is a central pillar of the Government's Action Plan for Jobs . We have put in place a series of measures to help reverse the decline in employment in this area in the past."

The Johnson & Johnson company has said that recruitment is already underway for the positions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

Yeah-fantastic to hear but Limerick needs a few more announcements like that.Thankfully An Taisce didn't object!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Great news! A new building in Plassey I take it? That place is starting to fill up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Yeah, after maybe 15 years of total neglect, things are finally looking up for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Rightwing wrote: »
    Yeah, after maybe 15 years of total neglect, things are finally looking up for the region.

Ya it's funny alright.

Since Shannon Development was disbanded (or at least handed over the reins to the IDA) the jobs have come rolling in, this has been just one of a healthy list of job announcements, makes you think, could it be that every government regional authority should have a defined shelf life?

I mean, Shannon Development would have been very successful in the early years, but completely redundant over the last dozen years or so. Maybe I am wrong but that is how it seems.

I do know anecdotally that they were beyond useless in recent years.

In any case it is great news for the region.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Ya it's funny alright.

Since Shannon Development was disbanded (or at least handed over the reins to the IDA) the jobs have come rolling in, this has been just one of a healthy list of job announcements, makes you think, could it be that every government regional authority should have a defined shelf life?

I mean, Shannon Development would have been very successful in the early years, but completely redundant over the last dozen years or so. Maybe I am wrong but that is how it seems.

I do know anecdotally that they were beyond useless in recent years.

In any case it is great news for the region.

I'd say it's something to do with government ministers too. Fianna fail were basically taking the piss out of willie o dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

1huge1 wrote: »
    Great news! A new building in Plassey I take it? That place is starting to fill up nicely.

It has previously been another vistakon building, the smaller one off the 1st small roundabout past the main vistakon building as you enter from the dublin road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'd say it's something to do with government ministers too. Fianna fail were basically taking the piss out of willie o dea.

Couldn't agree more

Since FF were ousted, we have seen immediate improvements in the city and wider region, Shannon Airport, joining the local authorities (although I still feel they haven't gone far enough), like I said disbanding Shannon Development.

Each of those alone have had a very positive impact, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Might also have to do with Shannon Development losing their main bargaining chip (along with the IFSC) of a corporate tax rate of 10% in 2003 to the countrywide 12.5% rate afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

there is currently an Ethicon plant there isn't there, its not open long, spraying bandages with some type of drug

Is this an official announcement for that or is it another plant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

aidanki wrote: »
    there is currently an Ethicon plant there isn't there, its not open long, spraying bandages with some type of drug

Is this an official announcement for that or is it another plant
    Same plant, name is only on the door in the last few days

Advertisement