Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of plumbing new house

Options
  • 13-04-2014 11:26pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just received a quote of around €18,000 to plumb a 4 bedroom house in cavan which includes all labour and materials.I had no idea how much it was going to cost but this seems expensive to me. The house is over 3 floors including an attic conversion. It has a downstairs toilet, 2 ensuites and a main bathroom. We are installing a 3 zone gas boiler for heating. There will be a pump shower in each en suite and an electric shower and bath in the main bathroom. I am going to get another plumber to quote the job so I can compare the 2 prices. Am I right in thinking that I can get it done for less?( I know it would be hard to put a figure on it without actually seeing the house)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

aido79 wrote: »
    I have just received a quote of around €18,000 to plumb a 4 bedroom house in cavan which includes all labour and materials.I had no idea how much it was going to cost but this seems expensive to me. The house is over 3 floors including an attic conversion. It has a downstairs toilet, 2 ensuites and a main bathroom. We are installing a 3 zone gas boiler for heating. There will be a pump shower in each en suite and an electric shower and bath in the main bathroom. I am going to get another plumber to quote the job so I can compare the 2 prices. Am I right in thinking that I can get it done for less?( I know it would be hard to put a figure on it without actually seeing the house)

No matter what quote you get, there will always be somebody around the corner to do it cheaper. 18k seems about right. Does that figure include the showers by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When you say materials, does it include sanitary ware, baths, showers, taps etc etc?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The quote includes everything including shower trays, screens, taps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Sounds right
    Beware of cheaper it don't mean better

The quote includes everything including shower trays, screens, taps etc.

Oh, then 18k sounds a bit cheap to be honest

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Oh, then 18k sounds a bit cheap to be honest

The plumber is my friends brother in law so maybe he is doing it at a reasonable price because he knows me. As I said before I had no idea of the cost involved so maybe 18k is a fair quote. Cheers.

The plumber is my friends brother in law so maybe he is doing it at a reasonable price because he knows me. As I said before I had no idea of the cost involved so maybe 18k is a fair quote. Cheers.

I doubt he's doing you a favour. Is he a registered gas installer by the way?
    The price of 4 bathroom suites would be quite costly. That's why I'm thinkin 18 is a bit low

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭gifted

Do a count of what you need eg. Number of rads, number of toilet bowls, wash hand basins , copper cylinder, taps, showers, pumps etc etc and go into plumbing suppliers And ask them for a price. Might be cheaper to supply the material to the plumber than getting him to supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kerryplumber

gifted wrote: »
    Do a count of what you need eg. Number of rads, number of toilet bowls, wash hand basins , copper cylinder, taps, showers, pumps etc etc and go into plumbing suppliers And ask them for a price. Might be cheaper to supply the material to the plumber than getting him to supply it.

Its not really that simple. Does the op know what size rads, what size and type of cylinder, etc etc etc.
    It makes me laugh when you give someone a price and its a case of :eek: your screwing me over, then they go to plumbing supply shop, drop about 300 euro and leave with a carry bag quarter full of stuff........... hey guess what........ we're not screwing u over.
    Op... 18k would be a competitive price, maybe a bit on the cheap side.

Its not really that simple. Does the op know what size rads, what size and type of cylinder, etc etc etc.
    It makes me laugh when you give someone a price and its a case of :eek: your screwing me over, then they go to plumbing supply shop, drop about 300 euro and leave with a carry bag quarter full of stuff........... hey guess what........ we're not screwing u over.
    Op... 18k would be a competitive price, maybe a bit on the cheap side.

You're right i wouldn't have a clue of what gear would be needed to plumb the house so there would be no point in me supplying the stuff unless the plumber gave an exact list of what would be needed. I'm going to get another quote but am not really expecting it to be much lower after seeing the replies here. Thanks

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I doubt he's doing you a favour. Is he a registered gas installer by the way?
    The price of 4 bathroom suites would be quite costly. That's why I'm thinkin 18 is a bit low

Yes he is a registered gas installer.
    It wouldn't be 4 full bathroom suites. The downstairs toilet is under the stairs so its just a toilet and sink. He said to allow 3000 euro for 4 bathroom suites, shower doors valves and electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

No mention of solar or other renewable's, these would be needed to satisfy part L of the regs if a new build.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    No mention of solar or other renewable's, these would be needed to satisfy part L of the regs if a new build.

The house was built 7 years ago and is only being finished now. Is it still classed as a new build?

The house was built 7 years ago and is only being finished now. Is it still classed as a new build?

What ever the regulations were in place at the time i think. Your architect will know.

What ever the regulations were in place at the time i think. Your architect will know.

Wasn't intending to use an architect. The house is ready for first fixing plumbing and electrical. As far as I can see part L only came in in 2011 so it shouldn't affect my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

I have just received a quote of around €18,000 to plumb a 4 bedroom house in cavan
    Does that include VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Wasn't intending to use an architect. The house is ready for first fixing plumbing and electrical. As far as I can see part L only came in in 2011 so it shouldn't affect my house.

You'll probably find that there is a transitional period for compliance with current part L regs. Like if substantial works aren't complete by a certain date then the new regs would kick in.

At a minimum you should install a twin coil cylinder, and route the solar flow & return pipe from the roof space to the cylinder location. Thats what i did when building my own. I also put up the brackets for the panel. Just need the panels, solar controller/pump station for complete install

Does that include VAT?

Yeah

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    You'll probably find that there is a transitional period for compliance with current part L regs. Like if substantial works aren't complete by a certain date then the new regs would kick in.

At a minimum you should install a twin coil cylinder, and route the solar flow & return pipe from the roof space to the cylinder location. Thats what i did when building my own. I also put up the brackets for the panel. Just need the panels, solar controller/pump station for complete install

I'm putting in a twin coil cylinder but I'm afraid you lost me after that...:confused:

I'll ask the plumber and builder and see what they think.

How is the building going to be signed off with out one?

• Advertisement

How is the building going to be signed off with out one?

Wasn't aware I needed one. The house is already built so don't really see why I would need one. Maybe something else I need to look into..

Wasn't aware I needed one. The house is already built so don't really see why I would need one. Maybe something else I need to look into..

I could be wrong.

I could be wrong.

So could I:)

So could I:)
    You would need a sign off if drawing down a mortgage on it to ensure compliance with regs. Not sure its necessary if no mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭893bet

You would need a sign off if drawing down a mortgage on it to ensure compliance with regs. Not sure its necessary if no mortgage.

If the house is ever to be sold/remorgaged or similar then it will be needed.

If you are gonna drop 18K on plumbing then dont cheap out and neglect professional advice also.

893bet wrote: »
    If you are gonna drop 18K on plumbing then dont cheap out and neglect professional advice also.
    Correct but It may be a little to late. Engineering sign off's need to start at the foundations. It cannot retrospectively be signed off on without having been inspected at the time.

I've been in touch with an architect to arrange the necessary paperwork and the engineering was signed off on the foundations when they went in. This thread has gone way off topic:rolleyes:

I've been in touch with an architect to arrange the necessary paperwork and the engineering was signed off on the foundations when they went in. This thread has gone way off topic:rolleyes:

Agreed, looks like interest in your initial question has been flushed down the pan (excuse the pun) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At what stage does a new build become a 2014 house or a 2007 house? As in if the foundations were poured in 07 then nothing till now, is it a 2007 build? A couple of walls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

At what stage does a new build become a 2014 house or a 2007 house? As in if the foundations were poured in 07 then nothing till now, is it a 2007 build? A couple of walls?

As long as most of the external work was done during the planning permission period, the county councils are fine with it.

Advertisement