Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowering Inhibitions Without Alcohol

• 13-04-2014 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey all, just wondering if people have any tips in general on lowering inhibitions? I drink but have been cutting back a lot in the last year and want to stop completely. The problem is the main reason I do drink when I go out is to lower my inhibitions. I'm naturally fairly shy and uptight. Drink enough and I can talk away to anyone and just enjoy myself. If I'm sober I find it hard to talk to people or just relax, especially in a pub setting.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I am pretty shy and quiet as well, however I found that alcohol actually didn't allow me to open up as my real self, rather it was a caricature of what I thought people wanted me to be. Once I admitted that, it meant I had to change how I interacted with people, and why I did it.

It got me thinking, gregarious people are naturally that way, if you met them in the park or on the street, they're the same. However - naturally quiet people are that way in whatever situation they are in as well. I am naturally quiet, so now I don't try and force it - i started to see what sort of social situations made me comfortable, and which ones didn't. In essence, i started to do only the things I really wanted to do, and avoided the things that I would need to have a beer in my hand either to fit in, or to "enjoy" it.

I realized that I hated music festivals, but loved music. So now...I avoid music festivals like the plague, and either wait until the bands I want to see are in town, or travel to see them in smaller venues.

I realized that I loved talking to people in small groups so actively search out those sort of situations (never say no to dinner invites, never say no to happy hour drinks with work mates etc (even though I'll be either on NA beer or juice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This is counter intuitive
    I also try to think of people as shy and uptight (even if they are not) if I haven't met them and then try to bring them "alive".

Most people are terrible conversationists anyway, so I feel no shame, that I'm trying. The fact that you even intiate says a lot about you.

And people time and time again are more than delighted if somebody "rescues" them from the tension.

Also people in a pub look at all the people in the pub as sort of crazy that they have to drink, "Wow, is this really what's required for them to articulate (which they won't remember anyway)" then feel fairly godlike that you're navigating through a crowd of sedated zombies.

You just need to reframe it mentally, and it can be slow, but if you have a good imagination its faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I find thinking 'everyone else is drunk, sure they won't remember if I make an eejit of myself' and imagining I've had a tipple or two and dancing a little bit or having a joke or two with friends so that I get a bit hyper is very effective for me. As well as that, drinking sugary drinks like Coke etc can give you a bit of a sugar high which, when coupled with a goid atmosphere, can make you feel almost like you're a bit tipsy!

Advertisement