Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction for personal reasons

Options
  • 13-04-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am wondering if and for what reasons the coombe would allow you to choose to be induced.

My son is making his communion exactly 2 weeks after my due date.

I have read that they will allow me to go 10 days over and that it could take a couple of days for it to work or if I need a c-section I could be in hospital for awhile.

I know its not a great reason to be induced and of course I would rather have a natural labour and I know about the risks involved with induction especially if then needing a c-section but I cant miss my sons communion.

Have any of you been induced for personal reasons or have any relevant information?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Speak to your midwife/consultant. We can't give medical advice.

Thread re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

You can always put forward your request to your consultant but I've only heard anecdotal tales of such goings on in 'Merica!!

I've only ever heard of it in private settings where it benefits the consultant and not the patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I remember reading a story about a woman in England whose husband was off to Afghanistan for several months, at a bad time, so the hospital agreed to induce a couple of days after her due date so that he could meet his son before he went.

I guess those are the kind of "personal reasons" where I could understand a woman considering an unnecessary induction. As for getting an early induction, against hospital policy, just to attend your son's communion ... really?

I'd be inclined to avoid unnecessary intervention myself. Talk to your son about it early, he'll forgive you as long as you don't make it into a massive deal yourself, in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Its a tough one a girl i know was expectin twins. She was in pure agony in everyway and had severe rib and muscle pain he would not perform section on her before the rime he had in his own head.

But it depends
    I hope you wont be doin all the cookin and organising for his communion you will have enough to look after !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xxINeedHelpxx

I was in a similar position to you on my 2nd and my midwife told me that sometimes they allow for personal reasons. Thankfully I did not get to that stage and went naturally.

I was induced on my 1st for other reasons at 9 days over midwife said the average was 10 . Maybe if you mention it they might consider 7 rather than the average 10 it would leave you with a week to recover.

I would be devastated myself if I had to miss my childs communion. I hope you go in time

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

My friend was told she would be induced on her due date if she didn't go early, she had a lot of stress related issues due to her partner leaving her halfway through pregnancy and there were fears for her mental health if she was to go overdue.. That's the only way I've heard of early induction when there's no physical reason... Hopefully you won't go overdue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Motherof32b

Thanks for your posts so far. I know some of you may think its not a valid reason but my son and our family has had a very difficult few years and this is important to all of us.

I will be meeting with my midwife this week and will ask. I was speaking with my nurse on Friday but she was not sure. So I just thought I would see if any of you have been in this position.

I am starting to feel some braxton hicks so I am hoping that's a good sign I will be on time :P fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for your posts so far. I know some of you may think its not a valid reason but my son and our family has had a very difficult few years and this is important to all of us.

I will be meeting with my midwife this week and will ask. I was speaking with my nurse on Friday but she was not sure. So I just thought I would see if any of you have been in this position.

I am starting to feel some braxton hicks so I am hoping that's a good sign I will be on time :P fingers crossed :D

I was sooooo worried that I would go overdue by 11 because my OH had to go on a business trip abroad and may of missed birth, I also had hyperemesis right up to labour which caused a tear in my oesophagus, dehydration and low blood pressure and literally physically or mentally couldn't take it anymore and in one of my desperate hours asked would it be possible if I was overdue by 1 week and was refused point blank in fact they said no doctor in the country would do it and babies cone when they are ready blah blah blah. Lucky for me he arrived on time! This was holles street but they allow you to go 14 days overdue where in coombe or rotunda I think it's 10 days.

• Advertisement

Rotunda is 10 days over, Coombe is 12 days. Lovely consultant in the Rotunda explained it to me yesterday when I asked :)

The thing about induction is, it only really works if your body is ready for it. If your cervix is unfavourable and baby is not down far enough etc you're playing with fire and would be very high risk of an emergency c section. Doctors use something called the Bishops Score to see how favourable women are for induction and work off that.

I'd lay down your fears to the doc and then ask them to score you on the scale and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My Aunt got induced the week before her daughters communion. She was due the day of her daughters communion. She was Private in Holles Street.

Advertisement