Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switches and Routers

Options
  • 13-04-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, so if mods want to move this post, feel free.

Anyway, I need to expand my wired network in my home soon. I currently have a modem/router with gigabit ethernet and a 5-port gigabit switch running off the router.

So I was considering just getting a 16-port switch and replacing the 5-port, this would obviously be the easiest.

But, if I instead got an 8-port, which would add enough extra ports and cost less, what would be the best option for connecting both switches?

Chain one switch off the other?

Or run both switches off separate ports on the router? While considering the traffic and keeping devices with heavy traffic flow, between each other, on the same switches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

SgtBob wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, so if mods want to move this post, feel free.

Anyway, I need to expand my wired network in my home soon. I currently have a modem/router with gigabit ethernet and a 5-port gigabit switch running off the router.

So I was considering just getting a 16-port switch and replacing the 5-port, this would obviously be the easiest.

But, if I instead got an 8-port, which would add enough extra ports and cost less, what would be the best option for connecting both switches?

Chain one switch off the other?

Or run both switches off separate ports on the router? While considering the traffic and keeping devices with heavy traffic flow, between each other, on the same switches.

There is little difference, you can daisy chain switches, but all the devices on a switch would be limited by it's uplink. The 4 lan ports on your router are also switched. I'd run the switches off different ports on the router, but make sure it's gigabit, cos each switch would have gigabit uplink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Toast

Putting the switches each with their own port off the modem is the way to go. After setting them up like this be careful not to connect the two switches directly together or to the modem a second time. It will create a switching loop that will kill your network (assuming they're low end switches with no spanning tree).

Advertisement