Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ball park figure for car insurance?

Options
  • 13-04-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hiya,
    My boyfriend and I are going to learn to drive and get a car, but need to save up some money before we do this!
    I'm finding it really hard to find a rough price of insurance for either of us without a car make or anything, I was wondering if anyone knew an average figure?
    Only one of us will drive and be insured (whoever is cheaper!) -
    We live in Cork (co cork), I'm 25 and female, and he's 29 turning 30. Neither of us have driven before, and we'll get a small second hand car (we don't really care what kind, the most reliable and cost efficient!)

Anyone have any idea at what prices we'd be looking at for either of us?
    Thanks so much,
    Elle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Did you try any of the online calculators on the various insurance companies websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TenFootTall

Hey,
    Yeah they all seem to require you to know details like car make, and I have zero details, I just want to know how much money on average we're looking at! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

You would probably be looking at something like an 8 year old Nissan Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hey,
    Yeah they all seem to require you to know details like car make, and I have zero details, I just want to know how much money on average we're looking at! :)

Then just choose a small car like a yaris or a micra and see what quote it gives you.

The thing is, they want to know lots of details like how old the car is and how much the car is worth and all that, and I don't know any of that and also I don't know how that effects the outcome!
    Like if I put in a car that's 5 years old is that going to make the insurance cheaper than if the car is 10 years old?
    And if I say the car is worth more does that make the insurance more?
    And all no claims questions and when you want the policy for?
    I have no idea about ANY of this, I just want to know how much it'd be on average!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Find a car you like (such as one of the suggested models above), search on carzone.ie for something similar. Use the registration number of one of them. That should help you get a fair idea :)

The insurance sites are just pulling engine size details etc from the info provided.

That's a good idea, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,373 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The thing is, they want to know lots of details like how old the car is and how much the car is worth and all that, and I don't know any of that and also I don't know how that effects the outcome!
    Like if I put in a car that's 5 years old is that going to make the insurance cheaper than if the car is 10 years old?
    And if I say the car is worth more does that make the insurance more?
    And all no claims questions and when you want the policy for?
    I have no idea about ANY of this, I just want to know how much it'd be on average!

Buy a small 1 litre car, preferably not a Japanese import as insurance companies will load them due to lack of immobilizer. For starting out you should look to get something cheap as you are likely to have an odd knock here and there while learning to drive, would be frustrating to damage a car worth €10k or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What about having a full licence driver with you? Wouldn't you be better off to learn to drive and pass the test before buying a car?

Buy a small 1 litre car, preferably not a Japanese import as insurance companies will load them due to lack of immobilizer. For starting out you should look to get something cheap as you are likely to have an odd knock here and there while learning to drive, would be frustrating to damage a car worth €10k or more.

Good plan, ha I would never spend 10k on a car, what a waste of money!

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What about having a full licence driver with you? Wouldn't you be better off to learn to drive and pass the test before buying a car?

Yep of course! I'm just looking to find out the average cost of insurance so we can made some kind of financial plan in advance of all these things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yep of course! I'm just looking to find out the average cost of insurance so we can made some kind of financial plan in advance of all these things. :)
    My son passed his test last year at 17 insurance was 900 extra to put him on as a named driver on a 1.8 car. To get his own insurance would be 2.5k but I got a quote on the Internet of 1300 for the same car if he had a full licence for a year.
    I got a quote last year for his own insurance on a learners permit for a 1.4 4,500 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

You will both need to be insured to learn how to drive.

This might be of help. We were in a similar position but older.

M36
    F38
    Both Learners
    Car 10 years old 1.2 Renault clio €1900
    Fully Comp, Dublin 22 under 10000 miles a year.
    I went as the Main driver (Male) Female as the 2nd. We both use the car about 50/50
    Axa insured us for €960. Most of the brokers were quoting AXA. I got €69 back when I passed my test.

It's Now up for renewal and its gone up. :mad: Well on the letter I have received it is. I will be ringing around and probably dropping the full comp.

You could just get a car reg of one of the sites and ring around.

M36
    F38
    Both Learners
    I went as the Main driver (Male) Female as the 2nd. We both use the car about 50/50
    Axa insured us for €960. Most of the brokers were quoting AXA. I got €69 back when I passed my test.

It's Now up for renewal and its gone up. :mad: Well on the letter I have received it is. I will be ringing around and probably dropping the full comp.

Thank you! That's really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If cost is a factor in your overall plans, you need to think about motor tax too. Not all cars are taxed the same. When it comes to motor tax, the age, and engine size of the car are factors to consider. I drive a 2007 Ford Focus and my last motor tax bill was 520 smackers. :mad:

While a older, smaller, lower litre capacity car, may be cheaper to buy and insure, it can be a false economy in the long run. Buying an old banger to learn in, does make sense in many ways. If you get into any of the usual learner scrapes, you are not damaging a terribly expensive car. But if you only shell out a grand or so for any old rust bucket, you may very well spend multiples of that, constantly getting it fixed and keeping it road worthy. It may be worth your while to cough up an extra couple of grand up front, to get a car that is more reliable & that won't cost you as much to run and maintain in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

ProudDUB wrote: »
    While a older, smaller, lower litre capacity car, may be cheaper to buy and insure, it can be a false economy in the long run.

Actually it's the other way around. Buying a new car which uses the new CO2 system is a false economy because you'll lose what you gain in depreciation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pov06 wrote: »
    Actually it's the other way around. Buying a new car which uses the new CO2 system is a false economy because you'll lose what you gain in depreciation :rolleyes:

I didn't mean new as in brand new. That is why I said just cough up "a couple" of grand extra. A new car would be ten plus grand extra.

I meant not getting a bottom of the barrel rust bucket, that may cost God knows what to maintain. If you spend a little bit more, to get something a little bit better, you stand a better chance of it running for longer, without it being a big drain on your finances, as you are not constantly having to get parts replaced and/or repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Bangernomics thread is quite an eye-opener in alerting folks to the sheer value and quality of motors available in the Irish second-hand market, for what is a relatively modest outlay (that being sub €2k).

As demonstrated daily on thread, it's perfectly possible to steer clear of rust-buckets & pick up well maintained, safe & reliable cars at prices most everyone can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The Bangernomics thread is quite an eye-opener in alerting folks to the sheer value and quality of motors available in the Irish second-hand market, for what is a relatively modest outlay (that being sub €2k).

As demonstrated daily on thread, it's perfectly possible to steer clear of rust-buckets & pick up well maintained, safe & reliable cars at prices most everyone can afford.

The problem is that most cars on that thread are too powerful to insure for a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

M36
    F38
    Both Learners

Not much point going fully comp on such a cheap car. It should be cheaper to add some of the extras (Breakdown assistance, windscreen cover etc) on a TP F&T policy than get fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Pov06 wrote: »
    The problem is that most cars on that thread are too powerful to insure for a learner.

Lower engine capacity cars get posted on a fairly regular basis.

A look at the last 2 days returned these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89938503&postcount=8977

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89926202&postcount=8925

Not much point going fully comp on such a cheap car. It should be cheaper to add some of the extras (Breakdown assistance, windscreen cover etc) on a TP F&T policy than get fully comp.
    Thanks, I was kinda thinking that myself. I have windscreen cover and breakdown assist. That's all I really want. But the think is with the quotes I'm getting. Most only insure fully comp. or there is little in the difference. Or yiu don't even get windscreen cover with third party. They kinds push you to go fully comp. Every penny counts though.

Just renewed my insurance. My 2nd year insured.

Went with AA, underwriter is AXA, With AA membership and a named driver I got it for €515

I was surprised it went down that much.
    But I drive less than 5000 miles a year. Last year I had under 10000.
    The excess is €250 though. Last year it was a ridiculous €500

Advertisement