Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 days Ireland trip

Options
  • 13-04-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    my girlfriend is coming for a visit. I live in Cork and we have 4 days during the week from 15th-18th april.

Could you please suggest some places we must go? Good landscape, nice places to stay, not too expensive. She is not much into hiking and stuff.
    Its the first time she is coming to Ireland.
    I can drive long hours so any place(s) in Ireland is ok.

Also, what's up with the car rental prices going really high for the next weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Next weekend is easter which is why car rental is more.
    duh wrote: »
    Hi,
    my girlfriend is coming for a visit. I live in Cork and we have 4 days during the week from 15th-18th april.

Could you please suggest some places we must go? Good landscape, nice places to stay, not too expensive. She is not much into hiking and stuff.
    Its the first time she is coming to Ireland.
    I can drive long hours so any place(s) in Ireland is ok.

Also, what's up with the car rental prices going really high for the next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

If you've got the car and want landscape then a tour of Cork and Kerry could just about fit into your 4 days. Try not to stay in the tourist spots like Killarney, Kenmare etc if you want to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was going to say, you're spoiled for choice if you're in Cork already :D

Head out west in Cork county - all along the south coast - Kinsale, Schull, Clonakilty and loads of other towns on the coast are really beautiful.

Or up to Kerry - I was on the Ring of Kerry last year for the first time in my life and it's AMAZING. You also have the Dingle Peninsula, and the Beara Peninsula (which I have never been on - yet!).

I'm don't know that end of the country terribly well - I'd try to sell Donegal to you but even by my standards that's a bit far away for a 4-day break!

But if all you do is get lost anywhere along the coast of Cork or Kerry, you won't go far wrong.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As above, look at a trek through West Cork & the Ring of Kerry.

Towns like Kinsale, Baltimore & then travelling the country roads that skirt the coast between Clonakilty & Skibbereen would offer your girlfriend a really nice introduction to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 duh

Chelon wrote: »
    If you've got the car and want landscape then a tour of Cork and Kerry could just about fit into your 4 days. Try not to stay in the tourist spots like Killarney, Kenmare etc if you want to keep costs down.

I am new to Ireland as well. When you say west cork, is there some place you can suggest where we can stay, spend a sightseeing, and then move on to kerry. Also any suggestions in kerry?

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Was going to say, you're spoiled for choice if you're in Cork already :D

Head out west in Cork county - all along the south coast - Kinsale, Schull, Clonakilty and loads of other towns on the coast are really beautiful.

Or up to Kerry - I was on the Ring of Kerry last year for the first time in my life and it's AMAZING. You also have the Dingle Peninsula, and the Beara Peninsula (which I have never been on - yet!).

I'm don't know that end of the country terribly well - I'd try to sell Donegal to you but even by my standards that's a bit far away for a 4-day break!

But if all you do is get lost anywhere along the coast of Cork or Kerry, you won't go far wrong.

Best of luck!
    Can I pick a hotel in Cork west, spend a day there and spend the other three days in Kerry? Does the plan sound good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

duh wrote: »
    Can I pick a hotel in Cork west, spend a day there and spend the other three days in Kerry? Does the plan sound good?

Of course you could, but you'd spend the guts of a day travelling from one to the other, and while it's not exactly hardship, you might be missing out on some gems in Cork.

If it were me, I'd do one or the other if you've only four days.

Get yourself a map of Cork and Kerry, have a look along the coastline and you'll get an idea of just how many towns there are to see/stay/eat in. You could spend a week just doing the south coast of Cork alone!

Where are you based in Cork (ie where would you be travelling from?) Bear in mind that the roads in rural Cork and Kerry are not exactly made for motorway speeds - to say the least :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Of course you could, but you'd spend the guts of a day travelling from one to the other, and while it's not exactly hardship, you might be missing out on some gems in Cork.

If it were me, I'd do one or the other if you've only four days.

Get yourself a map of Cork and Kerry, have a look along the coastline and you'll get an idea of just how many towns there are to see/stay/eat in. You could spend a week just doing the south coast of Cork alone!

Where are you based in Cork (ie where would you be travelling from?) Bear in mind that the roads in rural Cork and Kerry are not exactly made for motorway speeds - to say the least :D

Thanks HeidiHeidi. I am in cork city.
    Looks like it's better I chose one.
    If I have to visit west cork, is is better to take day trips to different places and come back home everyday or should I hop on to different hotels in the area?

Whats the best way to see the ring of kerry using a car? Stay in a hotel and spend the days visiting places. Or go to a different hotel in a different area everyday.
    Sorry if I am asking noob questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Day one go to kinsale and spend night in Clonakilty.
    Dy 2 Morning Drive to Galley head. Go to Drombeg Stone circle, Glandore for lunch Drive on to Crookhaven on mizen peninsula. Stay there or in hotel on barleycove beach.
    Day 3 enjoy Barley cove beach before heading to Kenmare via glengarriff for the evening.
    Day 4 to Killarney national park and home.

Advertisement