Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footware for breathable waders.

Options
  • 13-04-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am looking into buying stocking foot waders and I am wondering would trekking boots do as footwear.
    Is there much of a difference?
    I take it that the size of the boot would be a bit bigger to accommodate the thicker sock! I'm not worried about having a matching set or anything like that.
    I don't do much river fishing so I only need a pair for hopping in and out of the boat and a bit of lake shore fly fishing in the summer months. I already have a pair of neoprene welly waders for the colder weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

treking boots are not really suitable for wading, they would be like concrete blocks on your feet when wet and rubber soles can be slippy.
    Specific wading boots are lightweight, dont hold water and have cleat soles with studs fitted to give the grip on slippy rocks. they will also probably cost less than a pair of treking boots.
    ive a pair of Sierra boots and they cost me about 60-70 euro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You can wear whatever you like once they fit. I know a guy who wears runners with his waders. Most guys wear wading boots, but I've heard of some recently trying canyoneering shoes (Henry Gilbey has been writing about FiveTen boots). Really depends on what you're using them for - if you're not actually doing much wading you don't need proper boots with grip - for the boat even a pair of Crocs or similar would be perfect. I wear them sometimes for boat fishing when I know I won't be needing grippy soles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

That got me thinking and this is what I came up with......
    A old pair of my mates bigger welly cut down and a cheep pair of gators from aldi. JOB DONE.

I'd add a pic but cant seem to find how on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

decdon wrote: »
    That got me thinking and this is what I camephonth......
    A old pair of my mates bigger welly cut down and a cheep pair of gators from aldi. JOB DONE.

I'd add a pic but cant seem to find how on phone

Found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

If your gonna go with that option id punch some holes in the wellies. They will hold water and become heavy and probably slip off your feet.
    If your not buying wading boots then an old pair of runners would do the job, might be a bit small tho due to the thickness of the sock. A cheap pair a size too big might be a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement