Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

created a web page with wix template. what next?

Options
  • 13-04-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭

So one of the lads created a decent looking page for our club using a wix template but what is the next step?

I have never had anything to do with a page before so I'm at a bit of a loss. It appears by posting it with wix the address will be xayaza.wix.com/XYZ. I'm basically wondering how I go about this so we will have the page just xyz.com?

Any advice welcome. If in wrong place feel free to move thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

you cant their free sites come in the following format username.wix.com/sitename

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

tramoreman wrote: »
    you cant their free sites come in the following format username.wix.com/sitename

And if we pay? What is it like value wise to pay for. It is like 8 or 12 euro depending on plan.. again I know I can google this but I don't know what it is I'm googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

paid format

name should take format of

www.abc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Esa1203

You can go two ways. You either register a domain name with a domain registrar and than point that domain name to WIX or you can register a domain name directly with WIX.

I would go with the latest option because it's easier for you to set up. The drawback of WIX is that your domain name will only be top level, meaning that in the address bar it will not display the correct address.

It works like this. You will always see www.xyz.com with WIX. Say you have an about our club page. The proper way to display it (and with proper I mean good for search engines) would be www.xyz.com/about-our-club.html . This address is more valuable for a search engine than only www.xyz.com.

You'll find more info about this here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

gufc21 wrote: »
    So one of the lads created a decent looking page for our club using a wix template but what is the next step?

Honestly? Start again. In HTML/CSS. The amount of times I've had clients coming to me with WIX sites that they want to self host, who look at me incredulously when I say I have to rebuild it from scratch...

Now I know Im a purist, but I find WIX a complete abomination - ever see the amount of code it generates? Its predominantly Javascript (to prevent people stealing the HTML generated from it), so good luck trying to get Google to index your site properly and appear in search rankings.

Take my advice, either learn basic HTML and get a simple website self hosted (certain hosting providers have very basic plans for about a €5 a month) with your own domain name, or invest a little extra money for someone who knows what they're talking about to get one up and running for you.

WIX sites are fine for one off events, wedding websites, etc. but are not scalable, so will not adapt to your business (particularly important if you plan on selling online).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Great post^^^

Bite the bullet and get off Wix now. Even the paid version is simply a bad product and poor value at a minimum of $96pa. You'll get better value using something like WordPress on your own hosting and domain name.

Advertisement