Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Correction Software

Options
  • 13-04-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses room correction software?

I've been looking at the IK Multimedia Arc 2 and I was just wondering if anyone uses anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Buy some room treatment....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

The problem is that I produce in my bedroom, so don't want the place to be covered with foam! haha

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Put a high absorption wall hanging behind your near fields and sit really close to them. If you have room modes in the lo-mid or bass - roll up a sleeping bag and place it in any corner - see if it goes away. Experiment with these household items until the problem goes away.

On a more 'pro' note - some diffusers can be aesthetically pleasing and should fit in with most decors

• Registered Users Posts: 17 y2stevo

I Use REW (Room EQ Wizard)
    I use it mainly for basic FR and phase measurements for PA but it's 'marketed' for in room measurements, it;s also free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i suggest mixing with speakers at low volume

( visualise your speakers as a distant giant stage and you at the far end of a field , at a live gig
    and mix it quiet enough to hold a normal conversation )

and check the low end on phones and in the car if you arent going to treat the room

even a treated room at home will still have modes as you move your head .

also listen to the mix outside the room with the door open , down the hall - this will hilight any mono phase issues and major balance issue .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I can't get my head about how much Software can do .

The whole basis of room treatment (and I accept this isn't an option for you) is that it essentially controls reflection . So stuff either doesn't reflect (absorption) or does - in a desirable way (diffusion).

What options does room software have only Eq, Phase adjust and delay ?

All useful in tweaking a room - but surely useless for the 'heavy lifting' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Before committing any money, look in to room modes (free calculators available online). Roughly speaking, if the room mode calc shows that you should be experiencing problems at a certain frequency, correction software would notice it and address it too. At the very least, it will show you where your EQ decisions should be more careful. If you have a few commercial songs which you know very well, you could even notice a correlation between the results of the calculator and how the songs change in sound as you move around the room.

You could also do well by looking into RT60 calculations through the Sabine method. There are some online calculators out there, but basically you work out the surface areas of your room with what the current surface materials are. It will give you some reverb times and then you can focus on them by "adding" certain amounts of certain surface types to the calculation and see what the change in reverb characteristics are. Once you get a desirable set of results on paper, you can go about adding treatment to realise the calculations.

By using the above, at least to play around, you are gaining more understanding about what the room correction software is dealing with and probably improve your room in an "every little helps" approach to allow the correction software, if you get it, have an easier time of it. Even the odd sleeping bag, pillow or duvet as described by other posters.

Advertisement