Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complexity of building this app?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭

I have an idea for an app that hasn't been done before as far I can see, and which would make for a fun side-project at the very least! I am just wondering about a very rough ballpark figure and an idea of complexity-level. It would need to be designed and developed from scratch.

The app is very simple, my thinking is that it should be simple to build since it is limited in terms of functionality - it is a simple 'rating' app with a unique focus / twist. So, I am hoping this will help to minimise cost. Of course, I realise it all depends.

This is not a dating app but that could come into play later. It has a distinct focus not revealed here that I think is pretty cool!

It has two user profile types - let's call them User A and User B.

User A

1) Signs up to the app with Facebook (same as on e.g. Tinder).

2) Gets prompted to upload two photos from their Facebook profile.

3) Once done, they get a 'success' message, displaying the two photos side-by-side, advising them to come back later to check out their ratings.

4) When they come back, they are presented with their rating on each photo.

User B
    1) Signs up with Facebook, same as User A.

2) Gets presented with a rolling list of profiles. Each profile consists of the two photos uploaded by User A, and a voting mechanism (swipe your preferred photo).

3) Continues through the list of profiles, voting as they go (told you this app was simple!).

So, it would be great if people could give me some feedback? I would love to have an Irish designer / developer build this, but my budget is limited. So it will either be here or Elance. This thread is me figuring out whether it would be feasible to pay an Irish designer / developer to build it!

I am thinking of Android over iOS to start, just on the basis that there are far more Android users (open to recommendations here though).
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Atomico wrote: »
    So, it would be great if people could give me some feedback? I would love to have an Irish designer / developer build this, but my budget is limited. So it will either be here or Elance. This thread is me figuring out whether it would be feasible to pay an Irish designer / developer to build it!
    Based on what you've written, my guess is that unless you can convince an Irish developer to work for free, you're better off going to Elance. As I suspect your budget is tiny, and simply would not be able to pay for a local developer, this leaves you in a situation whereby you'd need to share ownership of the app with whomever builds it, if they are going to do it for free.

Which brings us to the question of whether you really have anything to offer? You have a very basic idea, but not even a business or revenue model, from what I can see. You don't even seem to know what platforms to build it for yet.

You also don't bring any special skills or business connections to it yourself. If you had capital, that would be something, but you don't seem to have much of that either. Beyond an idea, which is not terribly ground breaking, you're basically dead weight, from the perspective of a potential parter, and so a developer would wonder why you should have any equity, let alone equal or a majority of equity.

Not that I think you should go to Elance now anyway; your 'idea' is still just to undeveloped, so you'd at best end up with an app that you don't really know what you're going to do with when delivered.

I think you're jumping the gun; you've got a lot of work to do first before you can start building something which will at present inevitably just end up being a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mod Note: Mindbogglingly rude responses by the OP to those who gave him advice, and responses to same, deleted; OP banned for a week. Thread locked.

Seriously folks, this kind of thing leaves me wondering if "I have an idea..." threads need to be banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement