Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB 44% JE22%

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2 year old blue hfr recently. She is square enough with a white head.

Everyone I spoke to before I bought were of the opinion she would be ok to bull. However when I checked her up on ICBF she is BB 44% JE 22%. Does this mean she is a 22% Jersey? You wouldn't think it by looking at her.

Will she be difficult to calve?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Tomjim wrote: »
    I bought a 2 year old blue hfr recently. She is square enough with a white head.

Everyone I spoke to before I bought were of the opinion she would be ok to bull. However when I checked her up on ICBF she is BB 44% JE 22%. Does this mean she is a 22% Jersey? You wouldn't think it by looking at her.

Will she be difficult to calve?

Believe it or not half the fencing pure jerseys here are down as BB/JE.
    Be some work to rectify.
    Don't know how it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have afew 1/2 "BBs" in the parlour here also who give out 7k+ of milk every year ha! Only annoyance is their EBI is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

hfr is for suckling so I need to be getting a good calf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If she looks good enough to bull then bull away. She's 22% jersey means that one of her grandparents was probably close to 100 % jersey on paper anyway. That would only be a bonus when she's rearing a calf.
    If she looks wide behind in the bone structure and not overly muscly she should calve to an easy calving bull suitable for heifers. I would go with an angus or possibly a limo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I wouldn't be to worried a jerseys have a realy wide pelvice and will calf big calves no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Know a couple who actually bought belguin blues out of je cows.
    Super calves was reared out of them.
    Think they said one cow was 17 last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

i think lads are reading far too much into figures off icbf. i may be old fashioned but its usually the animal i put the bull on and not the cards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Miname wrote: »
    i think lads are reading far too much into figures off icbf. i may be old fashioned but its usually the animal i put the bull on and not the cards.

I see (yesterday's proofs) the best Lim bull that we've ever used with fairly miserable ratings on ICBF. It defies logic to me looking at the quality of the stock we bred off him.
    As a matter of interest, how would you choose an AI sire? Pedigree? Figures? Or like a few I know..... photo (never underestimate the power of a good pic!) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I see (yesterday's proofs) the best Lim bull that we've ever used with fairly miserable ratings on ICBF. It defies logic to me looking at the quality of the stock we bred off him.
    As a matter of interest, how would you choose an AI sire? Pedigree? Figures? Or like a few I know..... photo (never underestimate the power of a good pic!) ?
    Id usually go off opinions and if say id a small cow id try and put say a tall bull o n them and so on, i'd use what figures i could that way but in regards to the icbf, there are still a lot of farmers out there not putting in accurate info. one of the bst cows i had last year was down as a friesain, there wasnt even a hope she had a touch of it in her. she was a u grading red limo.

Miname wrote: »
    Id usually go off opinions and if say id a small cow id try and put say a tall bull o n them and so on, i'd use what figures i could that way but in regards to the icbf, there are still a lot of farmers out there not putting in accurate info. one of the bst cows i had last year was down as a friesain, there wasnt even a hope she had a touch of it in her. she was a u grading red limo.

Maybe I'm the exception, though I doubt it, but I'd never dream of putting in false info. I don't see the point, I think it takes too much thought to fabricate elaborate schemes, it's much easier to stick to what actually happened.
    The farmer ain't the only one inputting date either. Maybe I'm naive, who knows, but I'd rather have the current data than nothing. Particularly bulls with high reliability scores.
    That said I'm still surprised how ordinary ICBF rated one particular Lim bull that I would rate as top of the range!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maybe I'm the exception, though I doubt it, but I'd never dream of putting in false info. I don't see the point, I think it takes too much thought to fabricate elaborate schemes, it's much easier to stick to what actually happened.
    The farmer ain't the only one inputting date either. Maybe I'm naive, who knows, but I'd rather have the current data than nothing. Particularly bulls with high reliability scores.
    That said I'm still surprised how ordinary ICBF rated one particular Lim bull that I would rate as top of the range!
    Your cows might not be breeding to suit the average bulls ? (I'm not saying thats a bad thing at all )
    You were saying you weren't overly impressed with MBP I think and I thought he was great , any idea what way his ratings went ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

GC, is that abi by any chance. Have two great heifers off him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What bull is that genghis?

Yeah, it's ABI alright.

Advertisement