Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended Holiday on Jobseeker's Allowance

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've been getting JA for a while and was hoping to go travelling to the USA at the end of the year, to see if life could be better over there than it is here. I would love to go for 10-12 weeks, pushing my 90 days visitors visa allowance over there. Probably November - January.

I know that I can take up to 4 weeks holiday with 2 of them paid on my return, without my claim being suspended.

I am guessing that my claim will be closed if I leave for longer than that. Is that right? If it is, will I have issues claiming again? Would it just be a standard 'click here to close your payment claim' process?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not asking about being paid for the holiday. I'm asking about stopping the payment while I'm gone (ie. not actively seeking work in Ireland during those weeks) with the potential of still not having work when I return and therefore needing to sign on again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

You must be actively seeking work so why should you be paid for an extended holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WornPandora

I'm not asking about being paid for the holiday. I'm asking about stopping the payment while I'm gone (ie. not actively seeking work in Ireland during those weeks) with the potential of still not having work when I return and therefore needing to sign on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

Sure its only April. Maybe you won't still be on Jobseekers next November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are away for longer than a month you claim will be closed and you will not get paid for holidays. You will have to make a repeat claim on your return.
    SW may wonder how you funded your flights and 12 week stay in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WornPandora

Thanks, that's what I figured. I saved my butt off when I was working, up till the end of last year, so the savings (which I noted on my application form for JA) are there for flights, and I have friends I would stay with for free.
    With any luck I won't still be signing on for the next few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement