Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig around €800

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [Around 800 ish]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [ BF, DayZ, WoW and any other upcoming releases]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? (Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.) [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Not really but if I have to I will]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa Debit/Paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [Within a month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Have a friend who built his PC a while back, he will help me]

This will be my first PC to build so all the help and recommendations would be a huge help, kind of useless when it comes to this part of computers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The bump was so someone would see the thread instead of it just disappearing into the abyss:)

Heres a build to get you started,now you could either take it as it is or mess around a little bit with it. You have a few options,everything in the build are all quality parts,you could really save a few quid by being a bit more budget conscious and spend elsewhere if you wanted like below

Non overclocking cpu in there as your unsure overclocking will be for you. Id say if you were willing to roll up your sleeves a little and get a decent overclocking cpu and get it past 4.0GHz you definitely will be getting value for the extra money. Up to you though. Note the motherboard would also have to change if you decided you wanted to overclock.

The gpu is a good card for 1080p,should handle most games maxed out or with just a few tweeks. Again if you decided to save money elsewhere you could spend more on the gpu,and less elsewhere

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-4440 3,1GHz LGA1150 6MB Cache Tray CPU|€163.27
    ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX|€66.45
    Corsair CX Series Modular CX500M, 500W|€56.00
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€49.80
    Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm|€59.99
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Black Pearl|€88.47
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)|€68.12
    MSI N760 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2GB DDR5|€209.93
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€781.02The case is particularly nice,id keep that in if i was you:P

Also every part in this build could be run through a german site called Geizhals.de,its a german price comparison site. Enter the product your after,scroll down the results till you get to hardwareversand and click the link. It will bring you to the product page on hardwareversand which should have a slightly reduced price on the product. Add it to your basket and you should get it at the reduced price:)

As is id expect to maybe get the build down to €750 all in all,a nice little saving:)

EDIT:Had no cpu cooler in the build:o

This is a nice cpu cooler. Good price for the performance.

Alternately change the processor to a boxed version,which will come with a stock heatsink. Will be nosier than the one above but should not be to bad if you dont plan to overclock so could save some money there. This is the boxed version of the cpu in the build

CPU.Intel Core i5-4440 Box, LGA1150 price .150.08

Mobo.asrock h87 pro4, 62.20

Case.Corsair Carbide Series 300R, ATX, 63,73

Ram.8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile,66.47

PSU.Corsair CX Series Modular CX500M,500W, 52 33

Ssd.Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM

HDD.WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's ready for dispatch 46.48

Gpu.ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II

Total 777 delivered.

This has a more powerful graphics card but different computer case to Eoins build.

Or you could get an asus gtx 760 will be 710 delivered.

All prices sourced from Hardwareversand.de using Geizhals.de

Let us know what your thoughts are.

Thanks to both of you for your help, I'll let you know what I've leaned towards when I purchase the PC, and if anyone else reads this feel free to give your input too :)

• Advertisement

Don't forget a DVD drive. A lot of people don't bother nowadays, but you might want it. About 15 euro. Card reader about 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The lads here helped me with my beast and fair play to them, they know what they are talking about.

Firstly, get an ssd in the build if you can, its an extra 70 quid but my rig boots faster than my ps4 and I am in game before the PS has hit the home screen. Lightning.

Secondly, if you don't have windows already on a USB or know how to get an image of it, play safe and put the DVD drive in your build! Its a nightmare uploading from a memory stick when installing the os unless you have a verified fresh copy.

Thirdly, don't plug the processor power supply in backwards like I did :) stumped me for days as to why it wouldn't work and I had to disassemble and rebuild to figure it out!

Forgot all about the DVD drive until you both mentioned it, thanks a lot!

Be a shame to ruin those beautiful cases with an optical drive:pac:

The lads are right though seen as its your first build might be no harm grabbing one for the sake of convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikavelli

probably a stupid question, but if ya dont have a dvd optical drive how do ya install games? Or is everyone just getting them digitally nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Mikavelli wrote: »
    probably a stupid question, but if ya dont have a dvd optical drive how do ya install games? Or is everyone just getting them digitally nowadays?

Steam and the likes have taken over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Only thing is the games are usually a lot lot cheaper on Amazon and the likes than actually digitally downloading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mikavelli wrote: »

I'm removing my optical drive, it ruins the look of my Fractical R4 case.

You can get mounts that let you just plug your existing one into a USB drive externally, or just buy an external DVD drive, they cost pennies these days.

Optical media really dieing down. Even if you have older games on disc, you can just download the content via you know where, and use your CD Keys etc, the actual original purpose for torrents and the likes, and where it's fully legal to do so :)

While I put the opitcal drive into my build ( I just changed motherboard and got new case) I havn't had to use it once :( Drivers and the likes are all online now.

They still can be handy for installation of motherboard drivers, typically on the manafacturers websites, they have every driver split up, rather then in one package.

yawhat! wrote: »
    Only thing is the games are usually a lot lot cheaper on Amazon and the likes than actually digitally downloading them.

Not quite as cheap as some of the various key sellers online though. If you go to the main "Games" forum on boards and into the Bargain Alerts thread you will see some amazing deals.

Heres a few ive picked up very recently:
    Rust €11.99
    Xcom:Enemy Within €4
    Assasins Creed Black Flag €14
    Someone got Batman:Arkham Origins for €5 the other day with a voucher code supplied on the thread.

There really is so many places now to get the games digitally and very cheap that its actually a little absurd:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

Try and see if your budget will compromise what you expect from the machine, if it does then just wait for a while until you have more funds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

have a look at the dates of the threads you're posting on.

you've bumped a few old threads now.

Advertisement