Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlies Chinese Restaurants - Dublin

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

There used to be 4 or more Charlies Chinese restaurants/take away's around the centre of Dublin a few years ago.

The original was near the Olympia, which closed about 10 years ago.

They were on Essex St, South Great Georges St. and Westmoreland St.

The only one left seems to be Westmoreland St.

Anyone know what happened to them. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

One Georges still open isn't it? There's one on Camden street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

imme wrote: »
    There used to be 4 or more Charlies Chinese restaurants/take away's around the centre of Dublin a few years ago.

Dame St. one is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

imme wrote: »

They were on Essex St, South Great Georges St. and Westmoreland St.

The only one left seems to be Westmoreland St.

Anyone know what happened to them. :confused:

People got sick of their luminous semi-toxic food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Is the one in Templebar gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Dame St. one is still there.

I thought that one was gone. That it became a Chicken place for a while and now is for rent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Maldesu wrote: »
    I thought that one was gone. That it became a Chicken place for a while and now is for rent...

I was last there towards the end of 2013, so I guess I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

King Charlies and a couple of other "proper" restaurants are owned by the same people. They simply went upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Charlies & upmarket LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Was in the camden street one last weekend, night out isnt complete without a charlies. Went in sober once, disgusting. After 8+ pints, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

People got sick of their luminous semi-toxic food?

Lol. I developed gluten intolerance a few years back. One of the upsides is I am never tempted to head in to a place like that no matter how hungry I am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

George's St still open beside The Globe. Enormous difference in quality between it and the Camden St one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ones I was aware of still being open were Georges St, Westmoreland St, one in Temple Bar, and Kingcharlies (former Kingsland) on Dame St. Which if any have closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Now that I think of it, isn't there one on Wexford St?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

There are a lot up near Parnell Square, but I have never been - any reccomendations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are a lot up near Parnell Square, but I have never been - any reccomendations?

They're not 'Charlies' quality - they are proper Chinese restaurants.

If you want real Chinese food (as served in China) try Mandarin House, 179 Parnell Street or M&L, which is on Cathedral Street, beside Burgerking on O'Connell Street if you are coming from the bridge. Ask for the Chinese menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

spurious wrote: »
    They're not 'Charlies' quality - they are proper Chinese restaurants.

If you want real Chinese food (as served in China) try Mandarin House, 179 Parnell Street or M&L, which is on Cathedral Street, beside Burgerking on O'Connell Street if you are coming from the bridge. Ask for the Chinese menus.
    May I ask what is the difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hootanany wrote:
    May I ask what is the difference?

The Chinese menu doesn't have things like chicken curry and other Irish takeaway standards. They serve a great deal of pork and fish cooked in all sorts of delicious ways. Some more unusual offal dishes too, which may not be to everyone's taste, but more like what you would get in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

porsche959 wrote: »
    Lol. I developed gluten intolerance a few years back. One of the upsides is I am never tempted to head in to a place like that no matter how hungry I am.

A gluten intolerance... please do tell me more...

What happens when you eat the glutens?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

The Chinese menu doesn't have things like chicken curry and other Irish takeaway standards. They serve a great deal of pork and fish cooked in all sorts of delicious ways. Some more unusual offal dishes too, which may not be to everyone's taste, but more like what you would get in China.

isnt the chinese menu written in chinese? Do they have a chinese menu with english translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    A gluten intolerance... please do tell me more...

What happens when you eat the glutens?

Have you never heard of coeliacs? Gluten free options are on nearly most menus these days due to the large numbers of gluten intolerant customers. The problem these days is that some waiters confuse people who are not coeliacs but are on a gluten free diet for diet/fad purposes and still throw the gluten into the dish thus making coeliacs who state they they need gluten free options very ill.

Agreed that there is a marked difference between authentic Chinese and Westernised Chinese dishes. The standard fare over here tends to go more for the sauces ( monosodium glutamate MSG) which you'd never see if you ate dishes in China. Also, a lot of dishes that would make Westerners stomachs turn (chicken heads, offal, tripe etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

When i used to live in town and go out regularly i would always get a Charlies on the way home, but i got it for breakfast the next day...amazing stuff when you're hung over.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

ongarboy wrote: »
    Have you never heard of coeliacs?

I think the previous poster assumed because you said gluten intolerance that you were not a coeliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed that there is a marked difference between authentic Chinese and Westernised Chinese dishes. The standard fare over here tends to go more for the sauces ( monosodium glutamate MSG) which you'd never see if you ate dishes in China. Also, a lot of dishes that would make Westerners stomachs turn (chicken heads, offal, tripe etc)

Hmm, last time I was in Hong Kong they had MSG in everything everywhere I went. (Which is fine with me, I love the stuff). Is this no-MSG a mainland thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

isnt the chinese menu written in chinese? Do they have a chinese menu with english translation?

Try Lee Kee and Sichuan Chilli King. They are next to each other on Parnell St.
    The single menu is in English and Chinese. Sichuan and Xiang cuisine.

Yes they have, the translations themselves can be a great source of amusement. One I think says something like 'covered in Mrs. Wong's special juice' - unmissable, I'm sure.
    The staff are very helpful in explaining what the often very flowery descriptions actually mean. The portion sizes are very big - easily to feed two.
    I'm not sure they (Mandarin House) still have it, but they used to have a cold beef salad that was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Had one in George St. last night/early this morning. Really good after a night out. Packed out the door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes they have, the translations themselves can be a great source of amusement. One I think says something like 'covered in Mrs. Wong's special juice' - unmissable, I'm sure.
    Ugh, that's just so wong.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah Charlies after a rake of pints truly awful stuff but a very regular occurrence. As someone already said M&L on Cathedral street is really worth a visit, although go sober the food is worth remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Their jumbo bowls of Hot and Sour soup are good though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement