Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra collector pipe=extra efficiency.?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

If I was putting 600metes of geo thermal collector in my heat pump installation
    Would it add extra COP if extra 300 or 600 meters of horizontal pipe to the system,
    What's eyre opinions
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

jameser123 wrote: »
    If I was putting 600metes of geo thermal collector in my heat pump installation
    Would it add extra COP if extra 300 or 600 meters of horizontal pipe to the system,
    What's eyre opinions
    Cheers guys

Depends on how well the intial collector is designed. The more pipe the bigger the circulating pump so it doesn't always mean more efficiency. Whats your heat output and electrical input of the chosen heat pump? How much collector has been recommended and what are the ground conditions like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jameser123

Condenser wrote: »
    Depends on how well the intial collector is designed. The more pipe the bigger the circulating pump so it doesn't always mean more efficiency. Whats your heat output and electrical input of the chosen heat pump? How much collector has been recommended and what are the ground conditions like.

10 kw Heatpump , heating 352 m2,, 600 meters of collector pipe, ground is good soil, wet enough,
    wud an extra 300 meters be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

jameser123 wrote: »
    10 kw Heatpump , heating 352 m2,, 600 meters of collector pipe, ground is good soil, wet enough,
    wud an extra 300 meters be a good idea

600 should be sufficient as your cooling capacity will be about 7500w which means your energy absorbed per meter is about 12.8w which is nice and low. Wouldn't add more than 50m if I was to add anything at all.

Make sure your soil is not constantly wet or slow moving water if using a horizontal collector. Also make sure your collector isn't all one or two loops. It should be divided into at least 3 or 4 so the cooling load isn't front ended on one part of the collector.

Advertisement