Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get fencing endpoles

Options
  • 10-04-2014 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

I,m look 2put up some fences soon,and want 2get some sleepers for the end poles anyone know of any place in cork selling them at a resemble price??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Why sleepers?... When you can knock in treated strainers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

49801 wrote: »
    Why sleepers?... When you can knock in treated strainers

Because they will last far longer than any treated stake you will ever buy. The only thing I have that comes close to them for staying power are a few three inch square oak stakes the last of which are still standing after almost thirty years. The sleepers the oul boy put down 40 years ago are still there. I've replaced every stake that I've ever put up regardless of what treatment they were subjected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Try looking on done deal .. ?
    Dairygold had them for about 25 each if you took so many ,(can't remember how many )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

PDM do excellent end posts and turners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ye there savage stakes. Don't split on top either.
    Got a pallet of them last month for fencing.
    All gone now

• Advertisement

Because they will last far longer than any treated stake you will ever buy. The only thing I have that comes close to them for staying power are a few three inch square oak stakes the last of which are still standing after almost thirty years. The sleepers the oul boy put down 40 years ago are still there. I've replaced every stake that I've ever put up regardless of what treatment they were subjected to.

Have you tried PDM posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Some sleepers can have a serious "shake" in them Rolled one off the Ifor Williams trailer last autumn, and it broke in two. Only 24 inches off the ground. Would hate to be near it if driving it with a post driver.

ESB poles are excellent strainers. Should be lots knocking about Cork after the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Some sleepers can have a serious "shake" in them Rolled one off the Ifor Williams trailer last autumn, and it broke in two. Only 24 inches off the ground. Would hate to be near it if driving it with a post driver.

ESB poles are excellent strainers. Should be lots knocking about Cork after the storm?

Yeah I agree on the esb poles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

wouldn't be impressed with PDM stakes, had to cut a piece off one and the creosote had only penetrated about 10 mm , for grant id use octowood stakes otherwise oak stakes at 3.50 and oak strainers at 25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

PDM strainers are the job. About €22 incl vat. ESB poles good but can be very thick and hard driven.

• Advertisement

Have you tried PDM posts?
    Yes just last year and I'd have high hopes for them. Got another couple of bales of them on Tuesday.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I'd say the ones the oul boy put up were dug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, 9 inch or 12 inch bucket on the digger, go down at least 3 or 4 foot. Beat down the clay with the bucket when its back filled. Dig the slot at 90 degrees (or 45 degrees for a corner strainer) to the line of pull. I have some that were put down in 1988 and they are still rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Are pdm the same posts as the frs Have does any one know ?

Are pdm the same posts as the frs Have does any one know ?

Yes they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Think PDM stakes/strainers have a 20 year warranty.

Cresoted stakes and strainers seem to last longer.Know that tannalised stakes and strainers from certain places seem to have a very short lifespan although the type of ground they are used in can have a major bearing on this.

Quinn's are (were) selling cresoted stakes from the north and got 100 last year.Nice even stake but didn't seem to be as dark as the PDM ones.Think they were a bit cheaper though.
    Oak is fine and well but what about the poor fool who has to drive staples into them?

Railway sleepers are ok as strainers but prefer proper 8 ft's to be honest.
    Much harder to tie sheep wire around and get it to strain properly.Plus can have hidden flaws which cause them to crack as soon as the pressure comes on when straining the wire.

ESB poles are the business for hanging gates though,depending of course that they aren't too thick to drive or run the hanger through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

theres a few oak posts here since early 1950's wonder will the pdm posts be around in 60 years.
    have used octoposts here seem to be better treated than the pdm ones, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'd say the ones the oul boy put up were dug in.

Got 6 poles off esb when they were doing works about 7 years ago. Made 25odd strainers.

Dug they in with a spade and crowbar. They won't be coming out. Creosote in the centre of them

ford2600 wrote: »
    Got 6 poles off esb when they were doing works about 7 years ago. Made 25odd strainers.

Dug they in with a spade and crowbar. They won't be coming out. Creosote in the centre of them

Jesus that was hardship, I prefer to just the 12 ton spade myself :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Jesus that was hardship, I prefer to just the 12 ton spade myself :cool:

Way tighter fit with the bar and spade though

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »

A couple of taps with the bucket cures that too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

moy83 wrote: »

put one down over 4' with the post driver last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

td5man wrote: »
    put one down over 4' with the post driver last week

Post driver is a good job alright . There's lads fencing off a bit of our place for a road at the minute with a post driver , I can't believe they are getting them all down without stone sending them astray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Allot of the old day sleepers were treated by dipping in boiled tar as far as I know. I don't think any of today's sleepers will last as long. We got a load of old CIE sleepers years ago and they are still in good nick. But all these were treated in boiled tar also. Grandfather reckons its the only way to treat fencing gear.

When we moved here first their was an acre of soft wood trees down at the end of a field.
    Were only getting to reseed this field now.
    Any way my father cut them down and used them to fence the place. There all rotted now, but they have lasted 10yrs. Were replacing them now as we reseed the fields.

Was a very cheap way of fencing the place but was some work

Any one have a post driver ? Wats a gud make and wat kind of money ???

Got a second hand one 5 yrs ago. Very very hard to get them second hand.
    Its a Malone. Telescopic one goes up about 20ft.
    700e and all we had to do was put a new wire rope on it.
    She's a bit worn on the hat and on the weight but it a super yoke to drive stakes

Got a second hand one 5 yrs ago. Very very hard to get them second hand.
    Its a Malone. Telescopic one goes up about 20ft.
    700e and all we had to do was put a new wire rope on it.
    She's a bit worn on the hat and on the weight but it a super yoke to drive stakes

I can get loan of one from a guy that sells posts but his posts are shocking poor

I can get loan of one from a guy that sells posts but his posts are shocking poor

For me a post knocker is ideal piece of equipment to be shared between neighbours to keep purchase price down... Else hire a guy with one in

• Advertisement

For me a post knocker is ideal piece of equipment to be shared between neighbours to keep purchase price down... Else hire a guy with one in

An old man once told me that the only thing he would share with another man is d rosary

Advertisement