Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good deals on bubbly anywhere?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Getting married in 10 days and realised we forgot to get bubbly - eek! The venue will do prosecco but at €30 a bottle, or they'll charge €10 corkage. So I'd be looking to get something for (I guess) €15 or less, to make it worth the hassle of buying and carting it over to the venue etc. Looking for 15 or 20 bottles. Any suggestions? Not fussed about whether it's prosecco or cava or sparkling, but needs to be spumante not frizzante. Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Where are you!! I am in Cork but I know Centra do a nice prosecco less that €10 you could ask them if you were buying a stash would they give you a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The one from Lidl is decent. The screw top is only about €7 and the pop cork top is about €11

M+S have their prosecco and cava on offer at the moment for 13.99 a bottle. They might do a bulk deal for you too.

Plus one for the lidls brand too, Aldis also have theirs. And they would defo do you a party deal just don't make it to obvious to others that you are asking

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thanks so much guys. Lidl for €11 or M&S for €14 both sound great, i'll go in to both this evening.

(am in Dublin and didn't see any good offers in my local Centra, unfortunately; i know a lot of Centras are individually owned so maybe not part of the deal!)

Check if Obriens have any deals on. We got ours on special from them.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to you!! And for the wedding come back and tell us how it went!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

How did you get on sourcing bubbles? It's still on my to do list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We got ours with Cases.ie, they delivery pretty much anywhere in Ireland and they do sale or return. Don't know if they've a branch in Dublin, but I found the service very convenient as you don't have to worry about getting the drinks to the hotel.

PS: They've a good range of prices and we got our prosecco for 11 per bottle at a discount price when buying in bulk.

another Galway gem. Thanks Gatica have taken note for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

Fab Prosecco in Centra and Super Valu for only €9 per bottle. Friend of mine used it for her wedding and it went down a treat!

• Advertisement

Well, yesterday we got a Cava and a french sparkling wine in Aldi, both of which were around a tenner. The Cava had decent bubbles but maybe not the most amazing flavour; french sparkling had a nicer flavour but felt quite flat.

We also picked up the €9 Prosecco and a €12 Cava in SuperValu - they have an offer at the moment where if you buy 6 bottles you get €10 off, which is a pretty great deal and would make both of them very affordable.

We couldn't justify opening four bottles of bubbly in the same night, so we'll be trying those two tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dónal wrote: »
    Check if Obriens have any deals on. We got ours on special from them.

Obriens will often have Bank Holidays "20% back on Loyalty Cards" so head in and ask about Frizzante. This is the current "Industry" way forward for affordable Bubbles.

You should be able to pick up bottles for €10, haggle the corkage in the hotel AND get 20% back on the card if you sign up on the same day.

I will be doing this myself when it nears closer to my wedding as advised by the Store Manager in O'Briens.

Unfortunately the venue are not haggle-able at all on the corkage, unless you've any tips on how to do this?! My husband-to-be isn't Irish, so he's much better at haggling than I am, and they still haven't budged. To be fair, they're throwing loads of things in for free and the price per head is really reasonable (<-- an Irish attitude which shows why I'm rubbish at haggling!)

Just to add, I've learned over the last two days that the tax on Frizzante is less than on Spumante, hence why Frizzante is often significantly cheaper. However, the worst thing I could think of to describe a glass of bubbly would be for it to be "a bit flat", and that's been my experience of most Frizzante's I've encountered. So even if it means getting a Spumante that's not as "good", I'd still prefer proper cork-popping bubbling-up foam rather than better-tasting kinda-flat. Tbh we're buying more for the experience of drinking it rather than the 'nose' or whatever (as I think a lot of people feel regarding bubbly).

I have to say I have never heard the term Spumante!! Is this just a higher fizz then as you say.... Good to know about the task no thanks for the share. Would be a bit of a yes and a no with the fizz as I had a few nice ones now like the Ogio is it in Tesco's that's quite a fizzy one but then I have not sat down (yes I just got a great idea of what to do tonight haha) with a bottle of fizzy, bottle of sparkling and bottle of champers and matched them all.. I think this should be made into a regular weekend occurance here!! But I have taster since getting engaged a good few of the expensive champers and would defo think there is nothing speica about them.

Did you manage to find a good deal then

Think we're gonna go with the €12 cava from Supervalu, @ €10 off when you buy 6 (and we'll get 24) it works out at only slightly over a tenner a bottle.

It's called GranTroya cava brut, lovely and fizzy and a nicer taste than the Aldi one.

Haven't bought yet though so if anyone has any other last minute tips they'll be gratefully received!

The other thing I've learned these days is the best time to buy bubbly is Xmas, so anyone getting married next year should keep that in mind, maybe set up a little bubbly cellar under your bed for a few months ;)

Superquinnvalue also have prosecco for 9 Euro on that buy 6 and get 10 Euro off offer.

Dónal wrote: »
    Superquinnvalue also have prosecco for 9 Euro on that buy 6 and get 10 Euro off offer.

I wasn't mad about that one, it's frizzante and not fizzy enough for me; tasted nice though. Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Think we're gonna go with the €12 cava from Supervalu, @ €10 off when you buy 6 (and we'll get 24) it works out at only slightly over a tenner a bottle.

It's called GranTroya cava brut, lovely and fizzy and a nicer taste than the Aldi one.

Haven't bought yet though so if anyone has any other last minute tips they'll be gratefully received!

The other thing I've learned these days is the best time to buy bubbly is Xmas, so anyone getting married next year should keep that in mind, maybe set up a little bubbly cellar under your bed for a few months ;)

If you have time/inclination I'd head into the North and pick up some really good Prosecco in Tesco. The one I've linked is one of my favourite prossecos available, is very high quality and is deliciously fizzy and dry. Works out at equivalent to £7.50 per bottle so about 9 yo-yos a bottle

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?searchBox=prosecco&search.x=31&search.y=8&id=274857851

Merkin wrote: »
    If you have time/inclination I'd head into the North and pick up some really good Prosecco in Tesco. The one I've linked is one of my favourite prossecos available, is very high quality and is deliciously fizzy and dry. Works out at equivalent to £7.50 per bottle so about 9 yo-yos a bottle

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?searchBox=prosecco&search.x=31&search.y=8&id=274857851

Damn, that might be worth the trip. Thanks Merkin!

• Advertisement

You're more than welcome! I love prosecco and it's a particularly delicious one!

Best of luck with the wedding, have a lovely day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Merkin wrote: »

Tesco in Newry also do a very nice brut and demi-sec cava for £5.50 a bottle :eek:. I can recommend them both :D

Tesco in Newry also do a very nice brut and demi-sec cava for £5.50 a bottle :eek:. I can recommend them both :D

Quality control is of VITAL importance ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dunnes do a lovely prosecco, I think it's called Sachetto or something similar, the bottle is kinda old style with twine around the top. It's about €6.99 a bottle if I remember rightly. My parents (big wine enthusiasts) bought about 20 bottles of it for my hen party and were so impressed with it they've bought it for every party they've thrown since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mo2012

Dunnes have upped the of the sacchetto to €8.40 and they also have a rosé presseco

Advertisement