Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc TV Tuner Capture Card - UPC

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey,

New to the forum, but I've been building PCs for a while now.

Just a quick question, as to whether there is a PC TV Tuner/Capture Card which one could use to record live TV from UPC, which has been paid for?

As in, my situation is that I am;
    1. Paying for a box/card I don't use.
    2. Want a PCI card which would accept my UPC card and the feed from my line, and decode the signal, leaving me with TV I could watch and record on my HTPC?

Failing that, if necessary, I wouldn't mind using the the outputs on my current UPC box, although that would be a less elegant solution.

I'm sorry if this question seems obvious, I just can't seem to find any clear cut info on how to do this on the hardware side!

I just want to use a HTPC the same was I would a UPC recording box, with a few more features! :D

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Richard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

You can record an analogue signal with a standard analogue card and Windows Media Center or one of the many equivalents. You can't watch or record the digital signal because it is encoded and you need a CI+ compatible card and it would need to be supported by UPC, which it isn't. I have the analogue setup and it works fine, but the quality is not great.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RichieLYNCH

What about a HDMI splitter to strip out the HDCP and then a standard HDMI capture card? Would that do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

I just want to use a HTPC the same was I would a UPC recording box, with a few more features! :D

You could probably find a work-around to record the "live TV" feed from a UPC STB. I too looked into getting a TV Tuner card with an HDMI input but all I could find were (expensive) video capture cards. But, as per my post I linked to above, unless UPC STB's have changed back again so as to allow an IR Blaster to change channels via your HTPC, then you won't be able to schedule recordings. :mad:

In the USA, there are indeed HTPC "Cablecards" which you can actually cheaply rent from your Cable TV company instead of a STB which is a totally legal way to use a HTPC with Cable TV, but AFAIK this service is not available in Ireland (or UK).

IMHO- Freesat & Saorview is the way to go............ oh and it's free :D

Advertisement