Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crystal not starting

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have an ursus c385 same as a zetor crystal 1979

I have 2 batteries in it but the problem is that when I go to start it there is a scrapping noise and it does not start

However if I push the tractor say 3 inches while it is in gear (fourth high) and then go back to start the tractor it will start no problem at the first turn

I know it is not the battery

anyone know what the problem is and is it a big job to fix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Tomjim wrote: »
    I have an ursus c385 same as a zetor crystal 1979

I have 2 batteries in it but the problem is that when I go to start it there is a scrapping noise and it does not start

However if I push the tractor say 3 inches while it is in gear (fourth high) and then go back to start the tractor it will start no problem at the first turn

I know it is not the battery

anyone know what the problem is and is it a big job to fix

Sounds like your starter isn't in gauging properly, may be worth a look to see is it missing a tooth or sum thing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like the Bendix isn't engaging.
    Take it out and clean everything up and see if throws the starter pinion out when you hook it up to a battery/ies.
    The bendix is a spiral that throws the pinion gear onto the ring gear and as they get old and worn the can stick causing your symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds more like a damaged ring gear.
    Lots of engines stop with the crank/flywheel in the same position, so the one spot on the ring gear keeps getting hit with the bendix when the starter is engaged.
    That particular spot on the ring gear gets worn and damaged and along with general wear and tear on the bendix itself, it gets to the point that the bendix no longer properly engages it.
    Moving the tractor a bit in gear presents a 'fresh' portion of ring gear to the bendix.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

yes the ring gear is most likely the prolplem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

joejobrien wrote: »
    yes the ring gear is most likely the prolplem

is this a big problem to fix, how long will it take etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Tomjim wrote: »
    is this a big problem to fix, how long will it take etc

emm split it and replace flywheel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

emm split it and replace flywheel

Park on a small hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Chisel off the old ring gear, Gently heat the new one, (boiling water) and tap it into place. Shouldn't need to replace the entire flywheel. Might as well check clutch when you are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rovi wrote: »
    Sounds more like a damaged ring gear.
    Lots of engines stop with the crank/flywheel in the same position, so the one spot on the ring gear keeps getting hit with the bendix when the starter is engaged.
    That particular spot on the ring gear gets worn and damaged and along with general wear and tear on the bendix itself, it gets to the point that the bendix no longer properly engages it.
    Moving the tractor a bit in gear presents a 'fresh' portion of ring gear to the bendix.

What exactly is the scraping noise tho, is it the bender spinning without tension or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If we're right about it being a worn ring gear, the scraping noise is the bendix chewing against the damaged ring gear without getting a good enough grip on it to get it turning.

You can check the ring gear by removing the starter and looking into the hole. Any damage to the gear will be obvious.

As said above, replacing the ring gear involves splitting the tractor, exactly the same as doing the clutch.

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    If we're right about it being a worn ring gear, the scraping noise is the bendix chewing against the damaged ring gear without getting a good enough grip on it to get it turning.

You can check the ring gear by removing the starter and looking into the hole. Any damage to the gear will be obvious.

As said above, replacing the ring gear involves splitting the tractor, exactly the same as doing the clutch.

Right. I ask as my machine squeals the odd time while starting but I think that's just the starter not the ring gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Reggie. wrote: »
    Right. I ask as my machine squeals the odd time while starting but I think that's just the starter not the ring gear

probably the starter at this stage , but keep trashing it and eventually it will fu$% the ring gear

jt65 wrote: »
    probably the starter at this stage , but keep trashing it and eventually it will fu$% the ring gear

Grand.

Advertisement