Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling skills by position

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,
    I am American who has recently pick up hurling and I love it. My club is very new and is a mix of lifelong athletes (myself) and some who do not have a long history in sports, but want to have another way to stay connected with their Irish roots. We have recently gotten in some arguments over who should play in what position and I was wondering what some needed skills or attributes are for forwards vs mid-fielders vs backs. Due to pitch sizes and the sport being new to the area we play mostly 7's or 11's. So what do you guys think? Skills by position:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hello,
    I am American who has recently pick up hurling and I love it. My club is very new and is a mix of lifelong athletes (myself) and some who do not have a long history in sports, but want to have another way to stay connected with their Irish roots. We have recently gotten in some arguments over who should play in what position and I was wondering what some needed skills or attributes are for forwards vs mid-fielders vs backs. Due to pitch sizes and the sport being new to the area we play mostly 7's or 11's. So what do you guys think? Skills by position:

What way does the team line out, like how many in midfield, full forward, etc? A lot of the positioning is dependent in your mentality, attitude, instincts, skills in different aspects of the game, aptitude for certain requirements and if course fitness. Also how big is the pitch in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnny Longhammer

What way does the team line out, like how many in midfield, full forward, etc? A lot of the positioning is dependent in your mentality, attitude, instincts, skills in different aspects of the game, aptitude for certain requirements and if course fitness. Also how big is the pitch in America?

The pitch for 7's is about 90m x 40m, 11's are played at about 105m x 50m. For 7's it's 2 backs mids and forwards. For 11's it's a litle up in the air but sometimes 3 3 3 or 2 4 2 with 2 of the mids assuming a half forward and half back role. Im very open to suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd say most skills ate applicable to all positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

It's not really down to skills and attributes, a players best position can only be found by testing it out in training and matches. Heavy positional rotation in training games will help answer the questions of who plays best where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Exactly.

Some players are better facing the oppositions goal - defenders, others at playing with backs to opponents goals - attackers.

Some players are good in confined spaces -corners and wings, whereas others need the space down the middle of the field.

Training games are best used for this. Over the course of 4/5 sessions each player should get a chance to play in most positions.
    Plus, mini games can be used to simulate defending and attacking situations to test out players.i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnny Longhammer

These are great points thank you. I'm used to soccer where forwards are typically the faster players, mids are the "smart" ones and defenders need to have power. Hurling is definitely unique in this aspect. We hardly ever rotate positions in scrimmages and I think that will help us out a lot. I appreciate the comments so far, and the more the better

Advertisement