Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Jobs

Options
  • 09-04-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm in TY, and I'm looking for some part-time work over the Summer anywhere in or around the city. I've spent the last week or so ringing up places and looking around the internet for any leads, but so far I've got no luck. Would anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try, or any leads?
    Any help's much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I know you will hate me saying this, but I honestly would say it is very hard for a TY to get some work.

You could try offering to do work experience in some place, do your real best and something might come out at the end?

Do up a CV if you haven't done so yet. Print 50 copies, envelope each of them and address them to the manager. Internet job hunting will get you no where for summer work. Spend Saturday walking around the city and shopping centers firing them into shops, supermarkets, take-aways, pubs, restaurants and anywhere that you think will hire you. Start this Saturday as summer positions fill up fairly quickly.

You might not end up with the most glamorous of jobs but hey, a few quid is a few quid and will help you enjoy your summer. Spent two years in my first "proper" summer job that I got in TY and still have it on my CV nearly 10 years later. Still my favorite job to this day.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Abrakebebra and Taikichi were looking fir staff two weeks ago, not sure if they still are but you could try them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Probably not the best solution if you want to earn some cash but you could try your hand at volunteering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Grab a loan of a lawnmower from somewhere, walk around offering to cut grass, you'd be surprised how much you could make over the summer moths doing this. Thats real work experience,

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    Grab a loan of a lawnmower from somewhere, walk around offering to cut grass, you'd be surprised how much you could make over the summer moths doing this. Thats real work experience,

And fit as a fiddle towards the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4 randomguy101

Thanks for the advice :) i did the lawnmowing last summer, but I was hoping to try my hand at an actual job, looking like I'll have no choice other than to do it again though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Print off CVs and just drop them into as many places as possible! You never know!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Make sure you ask to speak for the Manager though, because the chances are the person working there would probably throw it into the bin or forget about it. If he/she is busy, make sure you ask for his/her name when giving your CV in. There might be something in time posted in this thread also.

Advertisement