Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to purchase 1020?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a retailer for sim free purchase at relatively good value?

euglobalcentral have it at 359 but that has relatively high risk of attracting customs duties doesn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Are you near Galway? I think Nokia Care in Galway are selling sim free Nokia phones, I picked up a cheapie for out running there over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

They are notoriously difficult in Ireland to get sim free or not. I picked one up from 3 on contract, but it took weeks of searching to find a sip that had one.

The Vodafone shop in Maynooth had one a few weeks ago, if that's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the 1020 is down to 430 on vodafone pre-pay.

What are the chances of it being unlocked (I'm on 3, and won't switch)? And if it is locked, how difficult is it to unlock and how much would it cost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ablelocks wrote: »
    the 1020 is down to 430 on vodafone pre-pay.

What are the chances of it being unlocked (I'm on 3, and won't switch)? And if it is locked, how difficult is it to unlock and how much would it cost?

Its €449 sim free so its worth the €19 extra imo.

If you buy it with Expansys they are giving away vouchers with LUMIA phones worth of €65 for the windows store. Full details >>http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-lumia-1020-black-251639/

expansys price has gone back up to over 500, eglobal I'm too wary of so I'm nearly ready to buy the vodafone prepay.

Can anyone tell me how much vodafone branding/bloatware is on it and is it easy to remove?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is it not easier and cheaper to buy of amazon.co.uk? Sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

beauf wrote: »
    Is it not easier and cheaper to buy of amazon.co.uk? Sim free?
    Selling for £300-£320 on Amazon.co.uk (<€400)

Would it still be worth getting one of these, or is there likely to be a Quad-Core version in the pipeline? (Better CPU, Display, etc.)

Isn't there always a better phone in the pipeline?

The latest one is the 930. Who knows if theres a 1030 next?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/128301-nokia-lumia-930-vs-lumia-1020-what-s-the-difference

Selling for £300-£320 on Amazon.co.uk (<€400)

those prices are with 3rd party sellers, with one of them (wowcamera) the delivery charge is nearly £19, + another 10 or so for the Irish Vat = €416. The 3rd party sellers with the cheaper prices are most likely based out of hong kong - not sure what the warranty or returns support would be. (a friend of mine did buy a 1520 from them thru amazon.fr and had no issues)

The amazon price is £370 + £10 extra for the vat (€465 ish).

so the vodafone price is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

those prices are with 3rd party sellers, with one of them (wowcamera) the delivery charge is nearly £19, + another 10 or so for the Irish Vat = €416. The 3rd party sellers with the cheaper prices are most likely based out of hong kong - not sure what the warranty or returns support would be. (a friend of mine did buy a 1520 from them thru amazon.fr and had no issues)

The amazon price is £370 + £10 extra for the vat (€465 ish).

so the vodafone price is quite good.

Agreed. If you want to be locked to Vodafone. Otherwise the Sim-Free option (and Parcel Motel) may lead to better savings in the long term.

• Advertisement

bought the vodafone prepay - minimal branding or bloatware so no issues there. Got it unlocked thru a vodafone contact. really impressed with it.

now to sell an 820!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

bought the vodafone prepay - minimal branding or bloatware so no issues there. Got it unlocked thru a vodafone contact. really impressed with it.

now to sell an 820!

Just curious, did you instantly put 8.1 on it?

theothernt wrote: »
    Just curious, did you instantly put 8.1 on it?

god yeah - I don't think I could have put up with 8 for more than the few hours between buying and getting it home and 8.1 installed.

there were a lot of updates to do before the upgrade as well, so it took a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Can I ask do you have any negatives about the 1020. Thinking about getting one but undecided yet, it's between that, htc (m7) or the galaxy s4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

gizmo73 wrote: »
    Can I ask do you have any negatives about the 1020. Thinking about getting one but undecided yet, it's between that, htc (m7) or the galaxy s4

What are you looing for ?

gizmo73 wrote: »

Depends is the best answer. In my opinion...

Camera is the best out there. But can be slower to process a photo. Lower spec cpu but then Windows phone doesn't need the same spec as android to run lag free. Windows Phone is more limiting than Android. But its simpler and faster. The HTC One (M7/8) main negative is the camera isn't that great. But its fast camera to take a photo. The S4 the main negative is the samsung bloat. The main reason to get the 1020 is the camera. Zenon flash and 41MP with OIS.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19597_Smartphone_camera_head_to_head.php

Advertisement