Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crows

Options
  • 09-04-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Any fella know whats the best way of keeping crows out of the shed, have the calfs driven mad, I dont really want to fork out a hundred pounds for one of the scarer machines if I can help it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Any fella know whats the best way of keeping crows out of the shed, have the calfs driven mad, I dont really want to fork out a hundred pounds for one of the scarer machines if I can help it

We ust to shoot one or two and hang them up in the shed, seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

that is just bad luck and not good for the farm.

The best solution is to use visual scare tactics to get rid of the crows.

Like CDS or any shiny iteams that will reflect. or some sound device that will scare away the crows like johnny logan 'Hold me now' on replay.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Feed nuts, gives the crows heartburn.:D Feed meal late at night, no crows operating in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Thanks all, id prefer not to be shooting them if I can help it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Feckin crows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

that is just bad luck and not good for the farm.

The best solution is to use visual scare tactics to get rid of the crows.

Like CDS or any shiny iteams that will reflect. or some sound device that will scare away the crows like johnny logan 'Hold me now' on replay.:D

Bad Luck ??
    For the Crow maybe..
    Interestingly it was the action of choice in the Ag College in Ballyhaise, always had one hanging at calf pens..
    Its unsightly but definitely works... I did it with pigs last year and worked immediately.. no more crows robbing their food

You mention shiny items.. I used CD's. In fairness it worked for a week or two, but crows are clever and soon got used to it. They never got used to seeing their buddy strung up by the claw though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

Have a pigeon hanging up for three years, not rotting and it keeps the birds at bay while I shot a crow in August for bales, rotted after two months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

1173834_10200928984319311_1597425386_n.jpg

Try something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

the hens follow me to the bags of calf crunch they get it here before the crows and calves do. Will change to calf nuts soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sull576 wrote: »
    Have a pigeon hanging up for three years, not rotting and it keeps the birds at bay while I shot a crow in August for bales, rotted after two months

He's rotting ok. Just all those feathers hide it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I see they are building very high in the trees this year. .....is it a sign of a good sunmer??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

so they say, bulid high and a good summer. heres hoping.
    Change to nuts will make a massive difference. As for those fancy scarecrow gadgets, keep your money in your pocket;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    I see they are building very high in the trees this year. .....is it a sign of a good sunmer??

Don't know but we'll say it is

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

bbam wrote: »
    He's rotting ok. Just all those feathers hide it ;)

You can check for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

1173834_10200928984319311_1597425386_n.jpg

Try something like this

Should've put a sign beside it saying "YEE BE WARNED!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Advertisement