Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ordinary.

Options
  • 09-04-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    Just had my Irish oral today but I'm incredibly worried if I'll pass the subject. I think my poem and sraith pictiur were okay but my comhra was awful all I managed to talk about was myself and my family and my school. But then she asked about fourth year and Irish college and I had nothing prepared :/ . Is it still possible to pass considering the oral is worth 40%. All I'm looking for is a pass not an A or a B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hi,
    Just had my Irish oral today but I'm incredibly worried if I'll pass the subject. I think my poem and sraith pictiur were okay but my comhra was awful all I managed to talk about was myself and my family and my school. But then she asked about fourth year and Irish college and I had nothing prepared :/ . Is it still possible to pass considering the oral is worth 40%. All I'm looking for is a pass not an A or a B.

You were able to discuss the basics which was excellent. As a result you have scored reasonably well especially if you feel the poem and sraith went well. You would be surprised with the amount of people who can't even discuss the basics and sit their blankly for the fifteen minutes. Those are the one's who failed not you. Out of interest when asked about 4th year and Irish college were you able to give a response of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Not really I kept saying "Ní thuigim" or "Ní fhios agam". And said I went to an Irish speaking school. It was so embarrassing I've never gone to Irish college before so I wasn't able to name a proper place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

If you discussed things like your family and school reasonably well, and the poetry and sraith went well you've definitely passed. The people who fail are pretty much just sitting blankly for 15 minutes, but unfortunately there are people like that.

A teacher in my school does the orals and she said there were three people last year she spoke with who didn't answer "Cad is ainm duit?". These are the people who are failing. If you even did reasonably well you've definitely passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Well the Fáiltiú is less than 1%. I did miss up one part in it as I was nervous. I got colscaradh for my poem and I think it was okay. The sraith pictiúr "Turas go dtí Comórtas Leadóige Wimbledon" was okay as I prepared for it pretty well, I gave about 3-4 line on each picture. And only messed up when giving one question. But the comhra wasn't great as I only got to talk about myself my family and my school for 2 or 3mins before I was barraged with questions :(.
    If I'm lucky I might have got 120 marks out of 240. The two written papers are worth 25% each so if I score pretty high in both of them I might be able to scrape a pass. The reason I'm so worried is that you need Irish to go to UCD, if I fail then my only option is either Trinity or D.I.T....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Well 1% of the total mark but 2.5% of the oral. Listen, if you were giving 3-4 lines per picture you did well, I can assure you.

I was finished Tuesday and I was helping my friend yesterday and he honestly couldn't get any of the words in Geibheann correct. These are the people who should be worried, not you. Rest assured, most average students have difficulties when the comhrá goes beyond the very basics but you won't fail because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

Ah don't be beating yourself up over an oral that you think you did bad in - I am sure that you def did not fail.Sure you did ok in the fáiltiú and good in the dán and sraith pic - remember you are getting marks in even understanding the questions - In comhrá out of 120 marks 75 goes to communication and 45 to the gaeilge.As long as you tried to hold some form of a conversation with the examiner you def did not fail.God I remember when I did my Irish oral exam years ago - examiner was my irish grinds teacher!!! was so nervous that lied to the examiner that had a great social life in town going to over 18 night club - didn't do any of that and then when I realised what I had jst spoken about thought I would get marked down
    for telling lies :) Ended up getting B1!!
    Am an Irish teacher now and I am an oral examiner!! I love to see weaker students come out of the exam happy and not going in so nervous - Please keep positive and keep up the hard work - Promise that it will all work out in the end :) I only became líofa sa ghaeilge when I took up Irish in college so there is hope for everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You are being so harsh on yourself. It is very difficult to fail any LC subject. My Irish teacher told us that she did an oral with someone who sat there and refused to speak. She said she comes across people every year who can't say their name in Irish. These people fail, you won't.

Advertisement