Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triban 3 red road bike £249.99 @ Decathlon

Options
  • 09-04-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

This range of bikes gets great reviews. At €300 it sounds like it might be better value than buying one of these than an inflated priced one through the Bike to work scheme. Unfortunately I don't think these are available here through that scheme.

Frame sizes are limited. 51" frame is the largest.

Do ParcelMotel ship bikes to their depot?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

groom wrote: »
    At €300 it sounds like it might be better value than buying one of these than an inflated priced one through the Bike to work scheme.

curious - why do u think the prices are inflated for the cycle to work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Prices of bikes seemed to me to rise dramatically after the scheme was brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Prices of bikes seemed to me to rise dramatically after the scheme was brought in.

That usually happens when there's some sort of grant - the folk selling whatever the grant is for absorb it by increasing their prices by roughly that amount. Fine bicycle, that - I notice it has more gears than most artics! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not only did the price rise. The spec get reduced every year. They've had to invent cheaper groupsets to lower the spec even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Strong, light cheap. Pick any 2.

It weighs in at 11kg and they say;

"The Triban 3 has an aluminum frame - it is ideal for any Cyclist who wants to start Road Racing"

I don't think so.

Fine for going to the shops though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

People used to think you were crazy to pay more that €1.50 for a coffee

Then people got more disposible income and start expecting more for a coffee

the norm to spend on a bike 10 years ago was €400
    Now it is €1000

If you spend €600 on a bike and you are on the top rate of tax it will cost you ~€25 a month over 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I understand inflation and the benefits of the scheme but my point is that this €300 bike seems to be better spec'ed than a €600 you'd by here on the scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It hardly news that we get ripped off down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the BTW scheme is not restricted to Irish retailers (at least it wasn't when I bought my bike off Wiggle a few years back). Some companies may have exclusive deals with particular shops though.

Advertisement